outdoor enclosure size

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We just fenced in our back yard and i have designated a 700sq ft area for my torts (they are babies now, but give it a few years :D) I was wondering if this would be enough space or should i give them more space. the space is 15' by 40' i also have on the other side of our house where the gate is a 5' by 30' area. The larger area has an orange tree planted in it, im still not sure what to do with that, whether leave it for the shade or remove it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would leave the tree for shade. The enclosures are a nice size. Of course bigger is always better. However the sulcata and the leopard should not be housed together, even in a large pen.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah...I would leave the orange tree as well..good shade and if your torts get used to the oranges they are a good fruit for treats or seasonal...the sizes seem good to me..of course anytime you have an opportunity for bigger then that is a plus..ditto on the keeping the species in their own spaces...:D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Go for the bigger size.
The orange tree is fine, I think they mentioned in another forum that they are all over southern Europe where some species of torts roam naturally (the Tortoise Table recommends against them, but the forum I mentioned overrode that based on real life observation)...
how nice that you can plan ahead as you remodel your yard!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks for all of the advise. they are still so small but cant wait to start building things for them. Im going to build them a small enclosure when im on spring break in a few weeks....

thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.