Large outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Here is the beginning of my outdoor torts pens. The area is next to the house and gets a few hours of sun in the morning and then dappled sun throughout the day. The space will be divided into three pens. The hingebacks will be on the far end, Box turtle in the middle and redfoots last. The space is 4.5 ft wide and around 40 ft long! Ordered some grazing mix today, the area usually has a good variety of weeds that grow in.

Here is the progress so far, will update as things move along!

This is the space all raked out and empty
262.jpg

Started placing the wood to keep them from digging out, and added some logs and such. The orange paint trays will be the water dishes
274.jpg

This will be Tippy's summer home, he is too small for me to trust him in a pen, will be adding a lid. The box turtle is trying it out until his pen is complete!
273.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually side yards are great tortoise areas. They almost always have a cement walkway on the other side of the fence, and the cement foundation of the house on the other side of the pen. The only troublesome areas are easy to work with...under the gate and across the back.

I'd love to see the finished product including inhabitants.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
How cool! I can't wait to see them in it!

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I can't wait to put them out there!!! If only I could get someone to dig the trench for the wood for me :D

Should have it done in a week or so, then just have to build one more for the russian and I will be done!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just a reminder, put a lip or something on the corners, other wise those hingeback could scale the fence. :D Looking great so far!

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Progress!! Really wanted to have all the digging and dividers in today, but I ran out of energy. Found out that the small Redfoot can fit through the lattice, so I will have to make sure that is all covered.

002-2.jpg

My supervisor for the day
003-3.jpg

All the wood is down on the perimeter, about 6-8" deep
010-2.jpg

Trying things out!
008-3.jpg

All the logs are hollow underneath, little RF hiding out.
009-2.jpg

Hope to get the dividers done tomorrow and the seed down!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
This is great for me to see. I have the SAME kind of side yard that I am currently going to do the same thing with my Russian. Very cool

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It's looking good! They are going to love it!

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Update!!

Here is how I left things a few weeks ago. Put down mulch over the seeds.
004-2.jpg

Now I have TONS of little things on there growing, should fill out nicely. You can also see how only half the area is in the sun at a time.
038-1.jpg

039-1.jpg

Put everyone out for some sun today. I realized that the three pens is the perfect design, that way I can alternate them around as the grass in the pens get eaten!

Status
Not open for further replies.