outdoor enclosure

navycop2004

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I am trying to build an outdoor enclosure for my RF, I live in oregon and the weather right now is average 85-95 dry heat. Do I need to be able to retain humidity outside some how? She will not be able to escape and will have shade and water. My main concern is if I need to somehow keep humidity

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes RF need the humidity. Use misters, sprinkler or spray the area a couple times a day if needed.
A humid hide won't really work outside only because they likely won't be in it enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You live in Oregon, where people don't tan, they rust, and you're worried about humidity? That does not compute!

Plants help it to be humid. You water the grass and plants and your tortoise should be just fine.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I would be more worried about it getting chilly outside than hot most of the time. It has been very foggy lately!😬

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I live in southern Ontario, Canada... Only times I can get my RF outside is when it's over 80F and humid... I will leave him out there as long as I can on days that I can... every little bit helps

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A good morning sprinkling of the area with a common sprinkler on a hose on a warm day will provide humidity for a day or two as it evaporates. Especially if there are bushy, shady plants.
I use overhead sprinklers in my enclosures over the dryer winter months. But that's probably overkill.
Upping the humidity in just one area of your yard can be simple and easy as long as it's not too cold.

Last edited:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Greeting from the Willamette Valley. I've planted my tortoise yard with lots of hibiscus, hostas, and I leave tall bunches of grass that I can spray down that the reds love to hide under.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Greeting from the Willamette Valley. I've planted my tortoise yard with lots of hibiscus, hostas, and I leave tall bunches of grass that I can spray down that the reds love to hide under.
Elephant grass. Or even Spider plants become gigantic over time and offer lots of square feet of fluffy shady hiding areas.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Elephant grass. Or even Spider plants become gigantic over time and offer lots of square feet of fluffy shady hiding areas.
I wish I could grow spider plants outside here, I have bunches of them in my indoor enclosures that thrive. A mulberrytree is next on my list since I know they can handle Oregon