Outdoor enclosure

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
Until I am able to get the any under control in Bernie’s outdoor enclosure is this ok for spending about 20-30 mins in?? It’s full shade under my deck outside. (He is under the plant to the right so you can see his size in comparison to the setup)IMG_7802.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Until I am able to get the any under control in Bernie’s outdoor enclosure is this ok for spending about 20-30 mins in?? It’s full shade under my deck outside. (He is under the plant to the right so you can see his size in comparison to the setup)View attachment 378367
Get him out of there ASAP! You have used soil with perlite. They eat the perlite and it will slowly kill them. This is one of the many reasons we say don't use soil for tortoise substrate.

Also, there is absolutely no point in having him outside if there is no sun in the enclosure. Better to leave him inside, or move the enclosure (After replacing the soli with something safe...), partially in the sun.

Once you have your outdoor enclosure set up well and you dial in the shade/sun stuff, the baby can stay out for an hour or two several times a week, and then soak on the way back in.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
Get him out of there ASAP! You have used soil with perlite. They eat the perlite and it will slowly kill them. This is one of the many reasons we say don't use soil for tortoise substrate.

Also, there is absolutely no point in having him outside if there is no sun in the enclosure. Better to leave him inside, or move the enclosure (After replacing the soli with something safe...), partially in the sun.

Once you have your outdoor enclosure set up well and you dial in the shade/sun stuff, the baby can stay out for an hour or two several times a week, and then soak on the way back in.
Oh no ok!!! Thank god he was only in there for a few minutes today. What do you recommend I use as the substrate? The cover over my patio is a mesh cover so sun does come through, but I will move it to more of a sunny area

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh no ok!!! Thank god he was only in there for a few minutes today. What do you recommend I use as the substrate? The cover over my patio is a mesh cover so sun does come through, but I will move it to more of a sunny area
I usually make my outdoor enclosures on the ground and use whatever native dirt is there. With an enclosure like yours, I'd stick with whatever substrate you are using indoors. Alternatively, you can simply use some safe yard dirt from your yard. Just make sure there is no perlite, store bought soil, fertilizers, toxic leaves or plants, etc... in whatever area you dig up the soil from.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
Oh gosh will he be okay ?? I’m nervous now!!!!

rachelraines

ALABAMA
I usually make my outdoor enclosures on the ground and use whatever native dirt is there. With an enclosure like yours, I'd stick with whatever substrate you are using indoors. Alternatively, you can simply use some safe yard dirt from your yard. Just make sure there is no perlite, store bought soil, fertilizers, toxic leaves or plants, etc... in whatever area you dig up the soil from.
I’m just so worried about the ants in the dirt in our natural dirt- that’s why I have him in a raised bed right now while we try to treat it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m just so worried about the ants in the dirt in our natural dirt- that’s why I have him in a raised bed right now while we try to treat it
Those fire ants are some nasty business, so I totally understand your concern. The safest way to go is to just use the same substrate that you are using indoors then. Keep your plants in pots. It is fine to use that soil with perlite in the pots, as long as the tortoise doesn't have access to it and can't reach it. I always worry that a pot will accidentally get knocked over somehow or other, so I prefer to use soil with no perlite in it, even if the plant is potted and the tortoise can't reach it with the pot upright.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Also, when outside, the enclosure should be covered with wire mesh that keeps predators out, but lets the sunlight in partially. Be careful of overheating, keep a close watch.