Outdoor living

chosen2030

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, Arizona
What would be required to create an enclosure that sulcatas can live in year-round in Phoenix Arizona? Does it get cold enough here in winter to need an electrically heated house? Other than manually, how do you keep fresh water available throughout the day, especially in the summer months?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Same as what I said on your leopard question. In the case of sulcata, if he can't get cool enough in his shelter, he's going to dig a cavern (I don't ever use the work 'burrow' with sulcatas) that Vin Diesel could fit into easily.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Neal lives in AZ he might be able to help on what he does. Not sure he has sulcatas, but he has torts outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size sulcata are we talking about?

They need to be able to get underground to escape the summer heat and they need an electrically heated shelter for winter and cooler nights.

Shade, shade cloth, misters and sprinklers all help to beat the summer heat. The water tub should be in the shade in warmer weather.

A friend of mine had a sprinkler head (bubbler) that would flush and refill his tortoises water dish area every night.