Outdoor occasional enclosure

Lilyflowerbud

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello,
In anticipation of some warm weather I would like to get my tortoise an outdoor enclosure.
Marigold is a Herman’s tortoise and lives in a heated enclosure inside.
I take her outside on warm days and let her wander about for a bit under close supervision. I thought she might enjoy an enclosure outside in the summer, if it is warm enough. We’re in southern England- so hopefully we might get some sun!
Obviously will ensure there is a nice shaded hidden bit for her to retreat too.
Does the enclosure need a base? I’m worried about her digging out and escaping. Would a chicken wire base cause injury to her feet? Should I look for an enclosure with a solid base? Or does that defeat the point? She loves eating the clover and dandelions. Maybe she wouldn’t burrow out and I’m being over cautious?
Any advise or recommendations for ready made enclosures?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If she is only going to be outside wile you're home and able to keep an eye on her you could use a kiddie paddling pool or doggie pool with substrate in as a temp outside enclosure. A nice deep raised garden bed is another possibility.
You may need to add a chicken wire cover or something to protect her from large birds, predators etc.
How old is she?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't use buried wire for any of my tortoise species. I don't think you need it. You can't buy anything big enough. You'll have to build it. Unless we are talking about a little baby.