Outdoor, recommendations

jeneliza

Location (City and/or State)
burton michigan
Okay, this year I am choosing, to make a outdoor pin for my girl, years past I used a plastic play yard, for humen babies, however she's now big enough, to push under this so it's no longer a safe option, she is not left alone outside, because my area isn't secured, to many Hawks, and coyote, plus someone had one taken out of a fenced yard, later it was found in a lake , almost dead, ( some kids found it, lucky it was a kid that was in my son's boy scout troop who had seen mine and remembered the information about tortoises ,knew it couldn't swim ) so I put in a short wood fence, about 3feet high, and a foot under ground, and it has supports around the outside, etc, and will have chicken fences on the outside, and it has a large flower pot for shade, now my questions are, I have very hard soil, black clay, should I put down some organic top soil, or just leave it, I never put a permanent, pen up for her, so any recommendations, would be helpful, it's still to cold here for outdoor play so I have time to work with it,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here in my area our soil is heavy red clay - it's like cement when it's dry, and like soup when it's wet. I've never done anything different with it, always just use what's out there.

Remember, when putting up a fence for a tortoise, if the tortoise can see daylight under the fence that's the spot where he's going to try to dig out. Make sure the dirt contacts the fence all the way around with no open spaces. I don't know what it's like in Michigan, but here in Central Calif. wood that is in the ground rots within that very first year. So keep an eye on your fencing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to see some pics.

I would leave the ground as is.

A clay flower pot will over heat in the sun. They need deeper shade than that. Like from some bushes or trees, or an umbrella. For a Russian you can dig a hole with a sloped entrance, lay some wood on top of the hole, and then put the dirt from the hole back on top of the wood. Makes a nice underground hide that stays much cooler than the surface on a hot summer day.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Okay I post some pics, as soon as I go out, there's a large, tree, as well, the fence was my neighbors, she had to cut down her fence, to meet the city code, she was trying to burn it, so I grabbed it, because it seemed a better option than bricks, I was going to stack up , so I plan on replacing the fence , in the next year or so, it won't be big enough, soon but she needs to be safe and go out on nice days, I have uvb , but sunlight is still way better, she's a large redfoot, not common in Michigan, she's a Pet shop rescue,

jeneliza

burton michigan
It as looks tiny in the pics, however it's 5" foot by 3", I also plan on burying the bricks that are around the edge just haven't got to that part yet

L

LasTortugasNinja

Redfoots are rainforest animals, correct? I believe an outdoor pen in Michigan will need a lot of potted plants and added moisture to bring the humidity up to 70% or higher.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It as looks tiny in the pics, however it's 5" foot by 3", I also plan on burying the bricks that are around the edge just haven't got to that part yet

When you download pictures look at the top and click on 'full size' so us older eyes can see it better...thanks ever so...

jeneliza

burton michigan
Yes, I will be planning, to put plants in the pen, as well, and a small pool of water, as well, nothing is growing yet, and she won't be living in the pen, the weather is just to bipolar for her to stay out, even in the summer we have had temperature as low as 45-55, not offen but , I don't trust the area either, I don't have a fenced yard, only a small area , fenced, plus I have an an acre with a wooded lot, if she where to get out I have a hard time finding her, alot of Hawks and coyote, as well

Relic

Here
One other thing to consider - and I have no idea what your yard configuration is - but building the enclosure close to your house provides a bit of protection. Predators might be less likely to investigate the pen interior if it is closer to "human activity." Plus (hopefully) you can view the pen out a window and keep a watch over it. Locating it under a tree would help protect it from aerial view and provide some shade, too. The only thing certain: You will never finish it, the enclosure will always present opportunities for improvement, modification, enhancement, redecoration, relocation...

jeneliza

burton michigan
One other thing to consider - and I have no idea what your yard configuration is - but building the enclosure close to your house provides a bit of protection. Predators might be less likely to investigate the pen interior if it is closer to "human activity." Plus (hopefully) you can view the pen out a window and keep a watch over it. Locating it under a tree would help protect it from aerial view and provide some shade, too. The only thing certain: You will never finish it, the enclosure will always present opportunities for improvement, modification, enhancement, redecoration, relocation...
Lol, true I never will, it's about 4 foot off my bedroom, however I plan on only using this when I am out in my yard, I have to many pass by Walker's being a school is behind my yard, also there's a large tree about 4 foot to the side, it's just not green yet, it does fill-in nicely in the summer, and thanks for the information, every thing is help, being I have never built a pen yet,is part of a garden or will be when I finish it, but she won't be able to get to the garden, from the pen , but it will be added to the look of the garden

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
We need to see some pics.

I would leave the ground as is.

A clay flower pot will over heat in the sun. They need deeper shade than that. Like from some bushes or trees, or an umbrella. For a Russian you can dig a hole with a sloped entrance, lay some wood on top of the hole, and then put the dirt from the hole back on top of the wood. Makes a nice underground hide that stays much cooler than the surface on a hot summer day.
Tom would that be an option for a 3 pound Sully?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, I will be planning, to put plants in the pen, as well, and a small pool of water, as well, nothing is growing yet, and she won't be living in the pen, the weather is just to bipolar for her to stay out, even in the summer we have had temperature as low as 45-55, not offen but , I don't trust the area either, I don't have a fenced yard, only a small area , fenced, plus I have an an acre with a wooded lot, if she where to get out I have a hard time finding her, alot of Hawks and coyote, as well
I think this will work for a RF as long as outdoor temps are warm enough. It wouldn't work for a non-forest species, because the wall are too tall to allow any sunlight in expect mid day, and at that time its too hot, the UV levels are too high, and the tortoises hide from it. Once its all planted, I think this will work well for a small RF.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom would that be an option for a 3 pound Sully?
The underground hide? Sure, but they might not use it. Smaller sulcatas seem to avoid any sort of hole in the ground. Fear of the African animal that dug the hole keeps them alive in the wild. In time most of them will start to use the hide on a hot day. You might just have to keep putting the tortoise in it until he realizes there are no monsters down there and that its "his" hidey hole.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Okay, this year I am choosing, to make a outdoor pin for my girl, years past I used a plastic play yard, for humen babies, however she's now big enough, to push under this so it's no longer a safe option, she is not left alone outside, because my area isn't secured, to many Hawks, and coyote, plus someone had one taken out of a fenced yard, later it was found in a lake , almost dead, ( some kids found it, lucky it was a kid that was in my son's boy scout troop who had seen mine and remembered the information about tortoises ,knew it couldn't swim ) so I put in a short wood fence, about 3feet high, and a foot under ground, and it has supports around the outside, etc, and will have chicken fences on the outside, and it has a large flower pot for shade, now my questions are, I have very hard soil, black clay, should I put down some organic top soil, or just leave it, I never put a permanent, pen up for her, so any recommendations, would be helpful, it's still to cold here for outdoor play so I have time to work with it,
I used this for Opo last year until I got the backyard fenced in.
It's called Wham Bam fencing. You can find online. It is kind of pricey but fairly easy to install. I think its available at home depot or Lowe's also.
20190701_102219.jpg

jeneliza

burton michigan
I think this will work for a RF as long as outdoor temps are warm enough. It wouldn't work for a non-forest species, because the wall are too tall to allow any sunlight in expect mid day, and at that time its too hot, the UV levels are too high, and the tortoises hide from it. Once its all planted, I think this will work well for a small RF.
Thank you

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
The underground hide? Sure, but they might not use it. Smaller sulcatas seem to avoid any sort of hole in the ground. Fear of the African animal that dug the hole keeps them alive in the wild. In time most of them will start to use the hide on a hot day. You might just have to keep putting the tortoise in it until he realizes there are no monsters down there and that its "his" hidey hole.
Dexters pen is 40 ft wide and 44ft long. 3 sides have a 6 ft wood fence and the side that faces the inner yard has a 4 ft picket fence with dbl railway ties at the base. He is only 4 1/2 pounds and 10 inches long so he has room to grow.
Just trying to find good hides for him. No shade trees in his enclosure.