TurtwigsMom

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello!

I have a 5 year old Sulcata who recently moved into his new outside enclosure. He's been inside since we brought him home and I'm wondering if anyone has some helpful tips for when the weather turns.

He's currently in a 15X15 pen that has a 2ft tall stone wall. We placed the pen on a cement patio that has been filled with substrate and already has grass growing and he has a place to hide (kinda like a dog house).

We live in California, not far from San Francisco. The temperatures in winter mostly sit around 40 degrees but can drop on occasion to 0. I have a pen set up in our garage for such occasions, but what do you do for winter warmth? Anything else I can do to make him more comfortable? He much prefers the outside space.

Also we haven't had any rainfall yet. Any advice for how to prepare for that?

I'm a first time tortoise mom, we've had him for 5 years and I'd do anything for this kid.

I'd also love to see what you do for shelter! I'm thinking of upgrading again.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hello!

I have a 5 year old Sulcata who recently moved into his new outside enclosure. He's been inside since we brought him home and I'm wondering if anyone has some helpful tips for when the weather turns.

He's currently in a 15X15 pen that has a 2ft tall stone wall. We placed the pen on a cement patio that has been filled with substrate and already has grass growing and he has a place to hide (kinda like a dog house).

We live in California, not far from San Francisco. The temperatures in winter mostly sit around 40 degrees but can drop on occasion to 0. I have a pen set up in our garage for such occasions, but what do you do for winter warmth? Anything else I can do to make him more comfortable? He much prefers the outside space.

Also we haven't had any rainfall yet. Any advice for how to prepare for that?

I'm a first time tortoise mom, we've had him for 5 years and I'd do anything for this kid.

I'd also love to see what you do for shelter! I'm thinking of upgrading again.

Hi @TurtwigsMom and welcome!

Can you post some pictures of your setup? That might help us with what suggestions we can offer. You'll likelyl want to build a "night box" based on @Tom's design.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California