Outside in the Uk

charlotte1508

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex, U.K.
Sorry if im asking something that has been asked before, but I moving out hermanns tort - who is now about 7 years old... into a new enclosure.
previously he was in an outdoor set up with a wire 'roof' but i am wondering if it is necesary in his new enclosure.
what are thoughts on dangers? we have cats in our area (and we have a cat ourselves) other than that, we have seaguls, crows...?

DSC_1581.jpg

This shows the set up... still lots of planting to do.
The 'house' top right, will have a roof with heating inside. (lamp)
the grey stone section at the back will have a wooden roof that will keep that area dry.

I am wondering if other members would cover the rest with chicken wire, or leave it open?

url]

thoughts??

thankyou x

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry if im asking something that has been asked before, but I moving out hermanns tort - who is now about 7 years old... into a new enclosure.
previously he was in an outdoor set up with a wire 'roof' but i am wondering if it is necesary in his new enclosure.
what are thoughts on dangers? we have cats in our area (and we have a cat ourselves) other than that, we have seaguls, crows...?

DSC_1581.jpg

This shows the set up... still lots of planting to do.
The 'house' top right, will have a roof with heating inside. (lamp)
the grey stone section at the back will have a wooden roof that will keep that area dry.

I am wondering if other members would cover the rest with chicken wire, or leave it open?

url]

thoughts??

thankyou x
Looks great! I would cover it to stop cats pooping in there and the risk of parasites from them etc. Apparently torts have quite a taste for it too! Not very nice!!

charlotte1508

5 Year Member
Essex, U.K.
Is that the main concern? we dont have any cat poo in the garden, anywhere...
What would happen should a cat try and 'play' with the tort... could they do any damage?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is that the main concern? we dont have any cat poo in the garden, anywhere...
What would happen should a cat try and 'play' with the tort... could they do any damage?
I would be concerned that neighbours cats would see the substrate as a good place to bury their little surprises.
I don't have cats myself but as soon as I dig earth or put gravel down all the cats around here seemed to think it's a communal cat litter tray! They will poop wherever there is somewhere to bury it.
I am assuming your tort is almost fully grown so you shouldn't have the injuries that some baby torts have had because of cats (if you do a search you will probably find some threads showing quite nasty injuries), but yes cats can do damage to bigger torts by scratching eyes etc.

charlotte1508

5 Year Member
Essex, U.K.
something like this?
with the shelters sections having a plasctic wall over the right side and thw bottom right square being removable
(and the roof on the house being hinged)

upload_2015-8-25_13-41-3.png

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wow - that's a fantastic design tool you have there!
That looks great or you could even just make it in small sections that rest on the big and little wall for less work/expense .

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i would cover it. its only a week or so since I seen a story about a seagull pecking a tort to death.

charlotte1508

5 Year Member
Essex, U.K.
i actually just knocked that up on paintbrush... but thanks :)

how would small sections work??? and can anyone recommend any alternates to just woods and chicken wire?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Hardware cloth is stronger than chicken wire. It can be attached to PVC pipe with zip ties