Outside Temperature question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So as the days are getting warmer, I check weather.com every day.

Right now where I am, it's supposed to get into the low to mid 60's.

However yesterday it said it was 63 degrees outside. I went and brought my digital thermometer out, just to see what it looked like at ground level. Keep in mind, it obviously doesn't register wind. But there was basically no wind anyways.

So in the sun (where Thor's enclosure is). It read 85 degrees at ground level and 81 at the top of Thor's shell. I have one of those indoor/outdoor probe ones.

Is this technically correct? I did take him outside for maybe 10 minutes and I felt his shell when I went to bring him in, his shell was actually decently warm.

Now of course, this was just the area's in the sun. I forgot to check the shade area's but the only shade when I brought him out was the Hosta's that he can hide in.

So, do I go by my digital or the actual weather? Or any opinions on the matter.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am not a Leo keeper so I hesitate to answer, but with my Russians I go by the temp on the ground/on their shells, as long as it isn't windy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your temp gauge of course! The weatherman is always wrong. On the ground, in an enclosure, sheltered from the wind, in direct sun, it is always warmer. This is why you can't sun your reptiles in a glass tank. Don't laugh, lots of reptiles have died that way. Remember this when its 90 out, instead of 63. I always harp on people to use a temp gauge or thermometer a.nd don't go by feel. On a winter day in Iowa, indoor temps in the 50's feel hot after you've been outside a while. Where I live, 95 in the reptile room feels cool in the middle of summer when it 118 outside.

Its mid sixties or better and sunny, I think most species are safe to go out for some sun in a low enclosure with wind breaking walls.

Funny, in a couple of months, we'll be having an entirely different conversation.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Tom said:
Your temp gauge of course! The weatherman is always wrong. On the ground, in an enclosure, sheltered from the wind, in direct sun, it is always warmer. This is why you can't sun your reptiles in a glass tank. Don't laugh, lots of reptiles have died that way. Remember this when its 90 out, instead of 63. I always harp on people to use a temp gauge or thermometer a.nd don't go by feel. On a winter day in Iowa, indoor temps in the 50's feel hot after you've been outside a while. Where I live, 95 in the reptile room feels cool in the middle of summer when it 118 outside.

Its mid sixties or better and sunny, I think most species are safe to go out for some sun in a low enclosure with wind breaking walls.

Funny, in a couple of months, we'll be having an entirely different conversation.

Thanks! Yep, it will be "it's 90 outside, but ground level is 120!" lol.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your own readings, because the weatherperson's reading isn't done in your yard, which can make a huge difference. Have you ever be driving down a road and it's raining only on one side? You want to know what the temp is in your tortoise area, not 20 miles across town in Mr X's yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.