Outside temps for red foots

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I’m looking to get a red foot tortoise in about a month and it will be in a outdoor enclosure. I live in South Alabama and its very hot and humid during the summer and it doesn’t get to cold during the winter. But I was just looking to see what y’all do with your tortoises on the nights where it gets way cold? Do you put them in their house with a heat lamp? I’m just worried about the nights that we get cold snaps. It doesn’t happen very often here but it does happen sometimes. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I’m looking to get a red foot tortoise in about a month and it will be in a outdoor enclosure. I live in South Alabama and its very hot and humid during the summer and it doesn’t get to cold during the winter. But I was just looking to see what y’all do with your tortoises on the nights where it gets way cold? Do you put them in their house with a heat lamp? I’m just worried about the nights that we get cold snaps. It doesn’t happen very often here but it does happen sometimes. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome....heated hot boxes are used....also indoor enclosures for cold snaps are also ok.

daniellenc

Maryland
A young tortoise can’t stay outside 24 hours a day and Red foots like to be kept in the 80’s and very humid. You’ll probably need to plan for both an indoor and outdoor enclosure.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Hot, humid and shady. RFs are forest torts that don’t bask in the sun unless way too cold. Wouldn’t recommend a RF under 5” to be kept outside. My hot house has 2 CHEs 100w and a vinyl curtain door(removed for pic). This is good down to about 45 outdoor temp (inside stays at about 65). On top of house you’ll also see piglet heat pad to be added when gets too cold. Moving blanket put over whole house are used for insulation over the winter. IMG_2703.jpg