Overfeeding?

stayathomedad

Location (City and/or State)
chicago,IL
Is it possible to overfeed a tortoise. I just got a 1 year old greek and he's eating everything in sight. If I put food in, it's gone in less then an hour, Do I keep giving more or cut him off after a certain amount?
Thanks

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Are you giving him enough food? Yearling is still very young and still growing.
Another question would be if his diet includes everything he needs to grow and build strong bones/shell?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should be allowed to graze freely all day on the right foods. House them right, keep them hydrated, feed the right foods, and there is no reason to restrict their diet, unless you are intentionally trying to make them hungrier to get them to eat some new type of good food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only time you run into problems with the tortoise overeating is when he's being kept in a small enclosure. Without exercise, he'll soon grow fat.

Urbanmonkey

Derby uk
Our tots growth line seems thick? Ie am i over feeding?

Our horsefield is 7/8m old and weighs 85g ive been told shes should only weigh 40g max with 2 to 5g growth per month. Shes fed a combo of weeds like dead nettle, plantain, goose weed ect. Shes in a 2ft by 4ft table with 80% humidity. Temp 95 to 100f basking. Cool side is 75 to 80f. Sub is coco/top soil 3 to 5 inch deep damp at all times. Pressed down into uneven surfaces.

Attachments

• 20181201_095503.jpg
    20181201_095503.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Our tots growth line seems thick? Ie am i over feeding?

Our horsefield is 7/8m old and weighs 85g ive been told shes should only weigh 40g max with 2 to 5g growth per month. Shes fed a combo of weeds like dead nettle, plantain, goose weed ect. Shes in a 2ft by 4ft table with 80% humidity. Temp 95 to 100f basking. Cool side is 75 to 80f. Sub is coco/top soil 3 to 5 inch deep damp at all times. Pressed down into uneven surfaces.
They all grow at different rates. Your little one is looking just fine... particularly smooth for a Russian in fact. Well done :)