Overfeeding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spadget

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know whether its possible to overfeed a leopard tortoise?

We currently put down a small plate of food in the morning and then again in the evening which they eat most of but usually leave a little bit. Bear in mind this is for 2 torts.

Thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I don't think its possible to overfeed a growing tort as long as they have a large enclosure to exercise and the foods are natural (ie. close to what they would get in the wild, not high calorie commercial stuff).

Once the tort has reached adult size you can start to limit feeding if needed for weight control. In the wild the tort has to cover a lot of ground to find enough food. Personally I don't see a reason to feed twice a day, but many do it for their young torts. I feed enough that my tort will eat some, then go bask, then eat some more, go about the day, and then maybe later come back for more, but still leaving a bit at the end of the day. My tort isn't awake for enough hours in the day to warrant two meals.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is completely possible to overfeed a growing tortoise, and in my opinion this can create a whole new set of problems.

Tortoises are meant to be slow growers. While many people feed high calorie, high protein foods or large amounts of foods in order to accelerate growth, I personally would not ever do this.

We still don't know exactly all the causes of pyramiding and poor bone density in captive tortoises. I really feel that overfeeding has something to do with those issues.

spadget

5 Year Member
so how much would you recommend to feed them? we only feed them fresh grass, weeds, opuntia cactus as its also a weed here, and some fresh dark leaved greens, so no commercial hign protein stuff. They eat for about 10-15 mins in the morning and then again in the evening.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Actually, that time sounds good to me. I would reduce the amount just slightly so they aren't leaving any waste, but all in all that is a pretty good amount!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
kyryah said:
Actually, that time sounds good to me. I would reduce the amount just slightly so they aren't leaving any waste, but all in all that is a pretty good amount!

We put our young aldabras from day one outside in the sunshine and they graze as they desire on natural grass, weeds, and cactus. They grow steady and with great consistancy. We do not provide any mazuri at all.

I agree with kyryah.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
spadget said:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know whether its possible to overfeed a leopard tortoise?

We currently put down a small plate of food in the morning and then again in the evening which they eat most of but usually leave a little bit. Bear in mind this is for 2 torts.

Thanks

I do it the way you do it for babies. Once they get around a year or so, I cut it back to once a day and adjust the amount depending on weather. Less in cooler weather. More in warmer weather.

Also, I feed lots of "natural" homegrown foods like grass, weeds, grape leaves, cactus and NOT a lot of grocery store stuff.

... except when Cory brings me greens...

Status
Not open for further replies.