pairs and humidity?

MorticianPender

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
The pyramiding has to do with humidity. They should be in a closed chamber for two to three years with a humidity of 80%.
Also how many do you have? They should not be kept in pairs. If you have two and they are not in their own enclosure they need to be if not now real soon.
Why should they be housed separately and not in pairs?
Also, how do you keep your enclosure at 80% humidity?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are all kinds of threads of why they should not be kept in pairs.
Short answer. One will bully the other to illness or death.
For high humidity for young torts 0-2 or 3 years a closed chamber enclosure. For adults, a warm humid hide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

You start with WET substrate, then cover the enclosure to keep the evaporating, moist air inside.

MorticianPender

Texas
I did start with WET substrate with the enclosure covered. Maintaining a humidity level of 80% is the issue. I also noticed when the humidity is high that I have mold accumulating under their hid and food/water dishes. Should I be concerned?

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Im a beginner/rookie.. I struggled with these 2 questions for weeks. Just listen to these people. I bought 2 baby sulcata tortoise and was warned to separate. They said in the wild the only time they're together is when they're mateing or fighting. I said well my babies are not wild lol. I would always notice the big bro always hanging out on top of food and eating way more. Growing way more. I think he would guard the food from little bro. I then witnessed the big bro bite the crap out the little one and I seppereated. I giving the bully to my sister just waiting for her to get more education with torts. I also had a hard time covering my enclosre. I kept worrying about suffercating them. The day I finnaly covered them, I held 80 humidity for most day and night. I've had my babies almost 3 months so im still learning. Im here every 2 days asking a beginner question, but that keeps my babies safe and healthy. I finally got 80 percent constant humidity. All I do is keep top closed and spray down area daily. I also keep water dish near heat lamp and it evaporates and helps with humidity. I also keep another water dish in cooler area with food. I use 50 gallon tub. 20180429_121217.jpg20180426_130623.jpg

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I did start with WET substrate with the enclosure covered. Maintaining a humidity level of 80% is the issue. I also noticed when the humidity is high that I have mold accumulating under their hid and food/water dishes. Should I be concerned?
How often you change substrate? Dang that's what I fear, that's another reason why I struggled to cover them. Let's see what these guys say. I haven't encountered that. I bath my babies daily. I use that time to uncover and air out their houses. I also flip mix and toss their substrate around once or twice a week to air out any soil to damp or wet. I change substrate every 6 weeks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I never change my substrate, it's not needed if you spot clean and stir it up about once a week or so and if you use the right stuff that doesn't mold. Coconut coir in my opinion is the best.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's hard for us mammals to think like a tortoise. But they're solitary creatures and HATE company.
Some species can be more subtle. Some will fight to the death right away. But a pair is always unnatural and should be avoided.
(I started my tortoise keeping with a pair.
No TFO back then.)