Paralyzed hind legs

Christian1

Location (City and/or State)
Austria

Hello! Our 17 year old spurred turtle has problems with both hind legs. We have already been to a vet and had blood tests and a computer tomography done. All negative. This happened spontaneously with our turtle. Can somebody help us? Would be nice! Thank you in advance and best regards from Austria! Christian

Reactions: Ink

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
Can you post some more details on your tortoise enclosure (heating, lightning, size, temperatures), routines (diet, hydration)? Photos of enclosure and tortoise would be also helpful.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! I’m so sorry this is happening!

More information would definitely be good for the members to advise you

What are your temps like? Ie basking spot, overall day temps, night temps?
Indoor or outdoor set up? What size?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using specifically? Packaging photos are good if you have any
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind?
How’s humidity? What do you use for substrate?
How’s diet been with you?

A photo of your full enclosure along with one of the tortoise would be great!

Christian1

Austria
This is the post from MyTortoiseTree (Watch the video)

Help! Why is my tortoise walking like this?

I recently noticed something is wrong with my 8 year old tortoise’s back legs. When she walks she wobbles as her back legs take slow steps. She rocks side to side and her shell hits the ground. Her back legs seem weak and drags for a moment before she takes a step. I can’t think of what...

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This is the post from MyTortoiseTree (Watch the video)

Help! Why is my tortoise walking like this?

I recently noticed something is wrong with my 8 year old tortoise’s back legs. When she walks she wobbles as her back legs take slow steps. She rocks side to side and her shell hits the ground. Her back legs seem weak and drags for a moment before she takes a step. I can’t think of what...
I can’t see a video linked in that thread? What ended up happening with this tortoise? Were you ever able to get to the bottom of the root cause? Only thing I could see in that thread that I’d personally change is not feeding fruit, nothing else of concern stood out to me, tortoises shell looked in good condition.

Is the current tortoise in question also housed outdoors?

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
This thread mentions one of the possible reasons - constipation. Similar symptoms can be seen when tortoise has bladder stones or egg retention. All of these should be seen on CT scan.

Other possible reasons are small enclosure (e.g. 40-gallon tank) and freezing, for example.

So it would be great to know a bit more about your tortoise husbandry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Hello! Our 17 year old spurred turtle has problems with both hind legs. We have already been to a vet and had blood tests and a computer tomography done. All negative. This happened spontaneously with our turtle. Can somebody help us? Would be nice! Thank you in advance and best regards from Austria! Christian

The most common causes of this would be:
1. Constipation or impaction.
2. Metabolic bone disease.
3. Bladder stone.

Blood tests aren't "negative". Blood tests show many facets of what is happening in the body, and depend on what they are looking for. Did they check calcium or D3 levels? What blood tests did they do and what were the findings?

What did they use to do "tomography"? That can be an x-ray or a sonogram. An X-ray could eliminate a bladder stone, or forge in body obstruction if it was radio opaque. An experienced vet should be able to read constipation or bowel obstruction in non-radio opaque items too. An X-ray is also a way to assess the condition of the bones.

Christian1

Austria
This thread mentions one of the possible reasons - constipation. Similar symptoms can be seen when tortoise has bladder stones or egg retention. All of these should be seen on CT scan.

Other possible reasons are small enclosure (e.g. 40-gallon tank) and freezing, for example.

Thank you. The CT Scan was absolutly negative.

Christian1

Austria

Frost war nie der Fall. es gibt ein Innengehege mit den üblichen Wärmestrahlern, UV Beleuchtung etc. Es haben jedoch Kinder Äpfel ins Aussengehege geworfen. Kann es sein, dass sie zuviel davon gefressen hat?

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Frost war nie der Fall. es gibt ein Innengehege mit den üblichen Wärmestrahlern, UV Beleuchtung etc. Es haben jedoch Kinder Äpfel ins Aussengehege geworfen. Kann es sein, dass sie zuviel davon gefressen hat?
No, apples should not cause such symptoms even if cut seeds were eaten.

What UVB lamp do you use? What is the distance between the lamp and substrate? Are there any obstacles like terrarium mesh top? How often do you change the lamp?

Christian1

Austria
3. Bladder stone.

Blood tests aren't "negative". Blood tests show many facets of what is happening in the body, and depend on what they are looking for. Did they check calcium or D3 levels? What blood tests did they do and what were the findings?

What did they use to do "tomography"? That can be an x-ray or a sonogram. An X-ray could eliminate a bladder stone, or forge in body obstruction if it was radio opaque. An experienced vet should be able to read constipation or bowel obstruction in non-radio opaque items too. An X-ray is also a way to assess the condition of the bones.
Kalziumwerte passen. der arzt meinte, dass der Verdauungstrakt ziemlich voll aussehen würde. darauhin bekam sie Parafin über das Maul verabreicht. was würde man bei Blasensteine machen? vielen Dank für die Unterstützung!

Christian1

Austria
3. Bladder stone.

Calcium levels are correct. The doctor said the digestive tract looked pretty full. She was then given paraffin through the mouth. What would you do if you had bladder stones? thank you very much for the support!

Christian1

Austria
Calcium levels are correct. The doctor said the digestive tract looked pretty full. She was then given paraffin through the mouth. What would you do if you had bladder stones? thank you very much for the support!

Christian1

Austria
Kalziumwerte passen. der arzt meinte, dass der Verdauungstrakt ziemlich voll aussehen würde. darauhin bekam sie Parafin über das Maul verabreicht. was würde man bei Blasensteine machen? vielen Dank für die Unterstützung!

Christian1

Austria
3. Bladder stone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm concerned that your vet gave parafin (mineral oil) through the mouth. If he tubed it clear down into the stomach that's ok, but if he just put it into the mouth you run the risk of having the tortoise inhale the oil into the lungs.

Because parafin coats everything in the digestive tract it makes it easier to slide out. So let's hope that clears up the problem.

Christian1

Austria
I'm concerned that your vet gave parafin (mineral oil) through the mouth. If he tubed it clear down into the stomach that's ok, but if he just put it into the mouth you run the risk of having the tortoise inhale the oil into the lungs.

Because parafin coats everything in the digestive tract it makes it easier to slide out. So let's hope that clears up the problem.
I Hope so! Thank you for your answer.