Pearly's Cherryhead baby has been found

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Probably once a week I "lose" one of my tortoises in its enclosure. After not finding one of the tortoises I start thinking somehow one is gone. Remarkable camouflage.
I don't know how you do this. I felt literally sick during those 4 wks every time I thought about Tucker. I was going to work on enclosing their garden area to have it ready before summer but have had unexpected illness in my family and one friend had devastating stroke (very young woman!) which has been consuming my time. Hopefully I can get back to working on it soon, and now thinking about making very sturdy fencing and top cover with chicken wire or something. I can not/will not risk going through this heartache of losing a pet again and will do everything possible to prevent that

Kori5

I'm in the same process Pearly. Last summer he had a free range of our yard. We checked him during the day. But he would always camouflage and climb over things. Also, there are wild cats and all kind of birds. So I won't risk it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I don't know how you do this. I felt literally sick during those 4 wks every time I thought about Tucker. I was going to work on enclosing their garden area to have it ready before summer but have had unexpected illness in my family and one friend had devastating stroke (very young woman!) which has been consuming my time. Hopefully I can get back to working on it soon, and now thinking about making very sturdy fencing and top cover with chicken wire or something. I can not/will not risk going through this heartache of losing a pet again and will do everything possible to prevent that
heck! I don't know what happened here! Sorry!

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'm in the same process Pearly. Last summer he had a free range of our yard. We checked him during the day. But he would always camouflage and climb over things. Also, there are wild cats and all kind of birds. So I won't risk it.
our subdivision is around big public golfcourse, there are patches of preserved natural landscape which all kinds of critters still inhabit. My house is accross the street from the greens so I get little less "wildlife traffic" in my garden but still concerned about opossums, snakes, by some chance- a runaway dog, or big predatory birds... You never know. My husband WILL NOT help me building the garden enclosure, I suck with tools, my ground has patches of rock that I can't dig the shovel in. It'd take one of those "bobcat" diggers to dig holes for good sturdy fence posts, but the tort budget is very limited and won't allow anything like that, at least not now... I'm doomed! Nah! It's a CHALLENGE! And I like challenges. There must be more than one way to solve this, I just can't see it right now, but I know I'll figure it out. There maybe tons of answers right here in one of those threads, just need to start digging deeper. My babies don't climb high but they do enjoy a little vertical challenge. They also are not supposed to be the "digging species" (they are RF) so I just need the sturdy fencing and top cover. And all that is just for daytime. They'll be a year old right around now. I'll start calling them "yearlings" in May. We got them on June, 19 and they were TINY, Tucker still had his egg tooth and his yolk scar was kinda fresh. So this year they'll spend just daytime outside and sleep in their warm/humid tank. Next year I'll have their heated night box ready and they maybe big enough to stay outside during Spring/Summer/Fall months which are beautiful here. Winter, we'll see. After that when they are good solid size, with their garden well establish and night box already tried out and errorproofed, I think full time outdoor is a good possibility in our central texas weather. That's my plan, the raw version of it:) please post pics as you build, I'll be posting mine as well.

Kori5

I'm gonna post pictures as soon as I plan everything. This year I'm gonna give my best and make him a part on my balcony which is quite large and gets maybe six hours of sunshine. I do need some fence around so he can't fall down and some chicken wire on top ( we have ravens and foxes). I would put some plastic on bottom and cover it with coconut coir/dirt, add saucers pots vegetation etc. Unfortunately, my parents don't love him nor do they care for his safety. Mom is a heavy gardener and uses all kinds of pesticides. Also she has some toxic plants. And on top of that we have a dog with free access outside. They won't believe me when I say torts and dogs don't mix! As she is a labrador, people assume they get along with everything. Well I won't risk. Our climate is very warm and he can spend half the year outside. Last summer we didn't take him in. So these are my plans for this year. But this autumn I'm moving in with my boyfriend and then he'll get a really nice outdoor enclousure.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I totally get the compromise with the family members. It's best to have everyone on board but sometimes you just have to do the best you can. And that's ok too! I'll start new thread on my tort garden build. Be sure to check it out

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Only just found this thread Ewa and I am so happy for you and Tucker - naughty torty that he is!
What a relief to have back safe and well.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Only just found this thread Ewa and I am so happy for you and Tucker - naughty torty that he is!
What a relief to have back safe and well.
I know, I have to figure out how to sign up to follow some people so that I don't miss out on any news. I'm glad you have found my story