Pennsylvania Tortoise Breeders

Lil Slade

Hello everyone. I have been using this forum for at least a year have have gotten amazing advice for taking care of our tortoise. I recently made this account because I was hoping someone would be able to help me.
We have had our male Russian Tortoise "Slade" for over 2 years now, and we think it's about time to get him a buddy. We REALLY wanted to have a female companion for him, but everywhere we look does not have females. We started looking towards breeders, but cannot find anybody within a 30 mile radius who raises, or owns tortoises. We are from a little town called Roscoe in Pennsylvania. It's about an hour south from Pittsburgh. I hope somebody can help point me in a good direction. It would mean a lot. :)

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Tortoises are solitary animals and don't do well in pairs. Two Russian tortoises in the same enclosure isn't a good idea. Trios or larger groups do better. If you want more id look into getting 2-3 females and having a large enclosure to escape from each other.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! sorry to tell you this but pairs don't do well together, the male will dominate and harass the female till she is dead:(. tortoises are territorial animals who like there own space. but if you are gong to breed them you have to get 1 to 3 female ratio, so the harassment is evened out between the females. also you have to quarantine the 3 females for at least 6 months before you expose them to the male, you have to do this to limit the spread of disease.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Lil
I agree with the others torts are loners and very happy that way so don't make your Russian unhappy !

Lil Slade

Thank you for the replies.
I know when I got my male, he was living in a small enclosure with two other torts. That's why I thought He'd be fine with another.
His current home is 2ft by 4ft, and he has an upstairs area where his food and his basking lamp is, and a terracotta dish for his water by his daylight lamp. He tries to climb up the wall a lot and scratches the walls constantly pacing back and forth. I've tried many things like changing temperatures and humidity but nothing seems to stop him. We take him out for an hour or two at a time and when we put him back in his home, he continues to scratch the walls. The only time he stops is when he eats, which he eats very well.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Thank you for the replies.
I know when I got my male, he was living in a small enclosure with two other torts. That's why I thought He'd be fine with another.
His current home is 2ft by 4ft, and he has an upstairs area where his food and his basking lamp is, and a terracotta dish for his water by his daylight lamp. He tries to climb up the wall a lot and scratches the walls constantly pacing back and forth. I've tried many things like changing temperatures and humidity but nothing seems to stop him. We take him out for an hour or two at a time and when we put him back in his home, he continues to scratch the walls. The only time he stops is when he eats, which he eats very well.
your tort seems to be stressed, increase the size of the enclosure the smallest enclosure for 1 adult russian is 4ft by8ft. are the 2 other torts the same species as him.

Lil Slade

If you have the means, a larger enclosure would make him a lot happier than a buddy. Welcome to the forum.

Sadly, I do not have the means to make his home larger. The 2ft by 4ft was a huge upgrade to what he used to live in, and it's the biggest I can make it to fit in my room

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sadly, I do not have the means to make his home larger. The 2ft by 4ft was a huge upgrade to what he used to live in, and it's the biggest I can make it to fit in my room
You might consider a second story on what you have. If you have an outdoor enclosure for summer, your current setup is probably ok. If this is his full time home, he really needs more space. Please don't add additional tortoises.

Lil Slade

why are you trying to get more torts if the one you have already has to small of a cage? sorry if this question was rude.

I just thought getting him a buddy would make him happy. But you guys cleared that up for me.
He has a second story on his home and he spends most of his time up there and sleeps on the first story.
I appreciate all of your responses though, Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! Glad you've decided to quit lurking and join the party. Yes, what everyone has told you up above is correct. Some of us DO have more than one Russian in the same habitat, but they usually keep them outside in pretty large areas. You might be able to get by with one male and two or three females, but again, it would have to be either outside or a very, very large indoor habitat.

Your little guy is totally happy being alone. He goes from one stress free day to the next never having to defend his territory or food. He doesn't ever have to fight with another tortoise or chase someone out of his area. He's a happy camper!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Feed him more. You can feed larger meals or add an extra feeding.

You can try adding edible plants to his enclosure so he can graze. Since space is an issue, try a dangling plant. Otherwise bury the plant pot in the substrate so you can remove it and allow it to regrow.

Lil Slade

Feed him more. You can feed larger meals or add an extra feeding.

You can try adding edible plants to his enclosure so he can graze. Since space is an issue, try a dangling plant. Otherwise bury the plant pot in the substrate so you can remove it and allow it to regrow.

I always wanted to try that. But wasnt sure how to go about doing it, or even what kind of edible plant to grow for him.