Peoples opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I don't go into alot of info as a general rule, but the folks at the health store where I get the organic goods know....but out of the handful of folks I have never heard the boring thing....I have had a million questions and frequently stories of someones grandma having one living in the back yard for as long as they could remember....:D

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
The4ts said:
I got one of my best friends a Russian tort and all it's set up for her birthday so we could talk and talk about our torts and turtles together but when I mention my turtles/tort to my coworkers I get the "turtle soup" remarks!!! :(:( I think they say it to shut me up about them but it's so awful to even think of such a thing or say so about someone's pets.

That's awful! I've not heard that, but would be making some comment about one of their pets if I did! Rabbit stew perhaps ;)

Another I've been asked a lot is... Do you race them? No, of course I don't. I just say go on YouTube if you want to see that.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
esiotrot said:
The4ts said:
I got one of my best friends a Russian tort and all it's set up for her birthday so we could talk and talk about our torts and turtles together but when I mention my turtles/tort to my coworkers I get the "turtle soup" remarks!!! :(:( I think they say it to shut me up about them but it's so awful to even think of such a thing or say so about someone's pets.

That's awful! I've not heard that, but would be making some comment about one of their pets if I did! Rabbit stew perhaps ;)

Another I've been asked a lot is... Do you race them? No, of course I don't. I just say go on YouTube if you want to see that.

Oh, that reminds me! My girlfriend's mom's partner asked me if I have turtle fights with them.

*Face Palm*

But he's a real awkward guy to begin with.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I keep it on the DL because people around here are nosey....and if they found that my torts are more than what i told them....well they'd be gone.....but i'd love to see them get past my Cane Corso Italiano Mastiff......even worse my Black Lab....you may laugh......but my lab is super ripped and well....he does wtv i tell him :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
AustinASU said:
I keep it on the DL because people around here are nosey....and if they found that my torts are more than what i told them....well they'd be gone.....but i'd love to see them get past my Cane Corso Italiano Mastiff......even worse my Black Lab....you may laugh......but my lab is super ripped and well....he does wtv i tell him :)

No laughing over here. I had a yellow lab (I put him down after 13 great years in May) and he was an absolute brute. Really protective dogs.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
futureleopardtortoise said:
The only thing I have a problem with is that every morning, before it gets warm enough to put him outside for the day, I go out and pick greens from the front lawn for Carl..... My neighbors stare at me in my pjs, picking leaves :p

I just moved to a new apt recently and while I was setting up my new tort table I wonder what my neighbors thought. Their porch is across from mine and they been seeing me bring in a big table, LOTs of dirt, wood, PVC pipes that I drilled holes in, and buckets of water. It would be hilarious of they thought I was growing marijuana hahaha I can just imagine the cops busting in my door to find a tortoise habitat :D

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Q'sTortie said:
I just moved to a new apt recently and while I was setting up my new tort table I wonder what my neighbors thought. Their porch is across from mine and they been seeing me bring in a big table, LOTs of dirt, wood, PVC pipes that I drilled holes in, and buckets of water. It would be hilarious of they thought I was growing marijuana hahaha I can just imagine the cops busting in my door to find a tortoise habitat :D

Haha

That would be a shock :D

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
Lol. everyone I talk to family included went nuts over my tortoise and turtle.. They were realy sad when I had to give him away.. and keep asking me when i'm gonna get another.. that has been 4 years ago. Everyone but the mother likes to hear about them. Really excited about getting another!:D:D

M

Maggie Cummings

I take Bob around to several events every year and it's funny...I'll be grocery shopping and somebody will come up and say..."you're Bob's mama aren't you"? Or hey lady where's your big turtle?
Bob is very popular in Corvallis, and nobody knows me at all...

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Q said:
My friends don't give two cent or tell me I'm lame..... IM SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS FORUM!!! Its sucks to get no reaction when I show someone any of the awesome, cute, and funny pictures posted.

Same here.. they just don't understand my love for tortoises :(

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Mgridgaway said:
Oh, that reminds me! My girlfriend's mom's partner asked me if I have turtle fights with them.

*Face Palm*

But he's a real awkward guy to begin with.

Oh God you have no idea how much I needed that giggle. How funny!!!

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
I never thought I could become so attached to a tortoise my best friend bought mine for me for a bday gift and I thought hmmm I'll be bored with it what excitement can I get from a tort, well needless to say I fell in love, my sulcata is the most entertaining pet I've had in a long time, and I know they grow very large and are very costly but my tort is so worth any amount of money I have to "shell" out for her/him.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I have Star Tortoises. So, the people that do know about them ask the usual,

"How much did THOSE cost"
"What kind are they?"

I had one of my husbands poker friends ask me how heavy one of them were. I think he was actually drunk. Lol

My new landlord asked me "Why I would keep tortoises". And calls me the reptile lady. Which I find hilarious considering some of the people on here have wayyyy more tortoises/turtles than I do.

I have never had anyone call my love for tortoises stupid as of yet. However, I pretty much hang out with animal lovers. :D

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
I always get a "holy ****" when people see my Sulcatas... They are on the larger size! And everyone who discovers my russian always say they want one because they look so cute. My girlfriend is not too happy with my tort being in our closet for this winter... but hey, she loves his little face! When I was younger and my little skate rat friends would come over, they always asked to see the sulcatas and I'd let them feed them some greens. I was always cautious on who knew about my torts as I have had kids look over my fence at the old house...( My dad and I built a BMX track... which brought in all of the neighbor kids). We then moved and no one could ever see the torts now! I always love when people ask about them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.