Peperomia pellucida

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
anybody here has an idea if these are ok for leopards?
it's non-toxic to humans, sometimes eaten as a salad in southeast asia.
it sprouts naturally in my outdoor grazing pen. i do not want to remove anything that can add variety to a natural diet, but i do not want to risk it either. the reason i'm asking is i know of somebody who fed this to his torts as part of a rotating diet, and they got diarrhea. i am not sure if this plant caused it, though. could be a multitude of factors since he is also housing sulcatas, hermans, and leopards in the same enclosure....

my end goal is not to feed my leopard tortoises. i want to just let them graze on live grasses and weeds. for now i provide assorted fresh grass mixed with other leaves such as hibiscus, maringo and other recommended greens everyday, since there is not yet enough food in my garden/pen. the mixed grass seeds i planted are already sprouting. once those grow, i will cut down on the "feed", until i can eventually just let them eat "wild".

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Has your tort shown any interest in it? It might be a non issue as most weeds in my yard are actually edible, but so few get eaten by my tortoises....If there is enough area, they will pick and choose.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
@ZEROPILOT ,
yes they have, i did not catch them in the act, but the leaves had teltale signs of tortoise browsing.

@Yvonne G ,
thanks for doing some reading on my behalf. the way i interpret the article you linked is it's ok for medicinal purposes, but excessive consumption has undesirable effects...i guess i will leave some but take care not to let the plant become overgrown.

thanks!!!