Percentage of enclosure UVB light coverage ?

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
What is the 'recommended' or guideline of percentage of coverage of a 10.0 UVB strip light in an enclosure?
For example : if I have a 4'x8' long enclosure, how long of a UVB strip light should I have in it? Just to make sure I have proper coverage while indoors. ALL suggestions, ideas, recommendations wanted :)
Thank you in advance!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I assume you are talking about a sulcata, and an enclosed chamber style enclosure. You will need that in Fresno. I would use at least a 4 foot UVB tube in a 4x8 enclosure. Mine are 24" tall and I use the HO T5 12.0 mounted to the ceiling of the enclosure. If you don't go with HO, you will need to hang it to about 12-15" height. You will need more light than that in an enclosure that large, though. I use a second double bulb fluorescent for additional lighting. I suggest using a double T5 fixture, with one grow light bulb with UVA if possible, and a second fluorescent that is preferably around 5500K and has a CRI of at least 90+. For basking I hang two 65 watt flood bulbs (regular incandescent floods). For stable heat, I use two 100 watt CHE's torwards either end of the enclosure on a thermostat. I have the double fluorescent and the basking floods on a time for 14 hours a day. I have the UVB on a separate timer for 5 hours a day midday. That creates a nice overall light and a bright midday light with UVA/UVB. It also greatly extends the useful life of the UVB bulb as it is only on 5 hours a day.

In my opinion, that is the ideal lighting scenario for a healthy sulcata, leopard, or star.

Fresno, CA
I assume you are talking about a sulcata, and an enclosed chamber style enclosure. You will need that in Fresno. I would use at least a 4 foot UVB tube in a 4x8 enclosure. Mine are 24" tall and I use the HO T5 12.0 mounted to the ceiling of the enclosure.
yes, the sulcata.... and exactly what I was looking for and exactly what i had in mind. thank you so much for the info!
Question on your 65w floods..... do you have them in separate domes or clamp light fixtures? or do you have them in a dual fixture?
I didn't really think of going that route.... but i like that idea of 2 flood/basking bulbs...... i have an extra one of those dual dome fixtures so wondered if that could be used? or just single ones?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also use a 48" tube in a 4x8' enclosure. I use one for light, and an additional 48" tube for UV. I think you will find that a 10.0 will light up the enclosure nicely, but it won't give your tortoise any UV unless you mount it 10-12" above the tortoise. If your chamber is 24" tall, an Arcadia 12% HO bulb in a reflector hood will serve you better. Get them here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
yes, the sulcata.... and exactly what I was looking for and exactly what i had in mind. thank you so much for the info!
Question on your 65w floods..... do you have them in separate domes or clamp light fixtures? or do you have them in a dual fixture?
I didn't really think of going that route.... but i like that idea of 2 flood/basking bulbs...... i have an extra one of those dual dome fixtures so wondered if that could be used? or just single ones?
I have the floods in separate fixtures giving two "basking" areas. One by the food, plus another with a paver directly beneath as a hotter area choice.

Be sure to use fixtures with ceramic bases rated for at least 150 watts for both CHE's and incandescents. Rated higher than the wattage I am using for safety margin, and the ceramic base always for safety as well.

Fresno, CA
I also use a 48" tube in a 4x8' enclosure. I use one for light, and an additional 48" tube for UV. I think you will find that a 10.0 will light up the enclosure nicely, but it won't give your tortoise any UV unless you mount it 10-12" above the tortoise
so with this new construction I decided to go with 46" T5HO fixture with reflector mounted over center of habitat, the bulb : ZooMed reptisun 10.0 54w and that will be about 11" from surface of soil....
Do you think this will work okay as far as UV lighting goes?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
so with this new construction I decided to go with 46" T5HO fixture with reflector mounted over center of habitat, the bulb : ZooMed reptisun 10.0 54w and that will be about 11" from surface of soil....
Do you think this will work okay as far as UV lighting goes?
A T5 HO 10.0 would be too close at 11". That height would be more for a standard T8 10.0.

A Solarmeter 6.5 is really an invaluable tool to really check the correct height, and to let you know when the bulb starts to loose effective UVB output. I really recommend you get one if at all possible.

The T5 HO 10.0 suggested mounting height would be in the 18-20" range from bulb to tortoise height. That should give a UVI of around 5.0 or so at tortoise height.

Fresno, CA
thank you Markw84!! great suggestion!!! That would a very useful tool to have (A Solarmeter 6.5) since I have redear sliders and a Bearded Dragon that also have UV lights , that I should check ! and no problem at all with moving up the UV in my enclosure... thanks again! great tips and ideas!!

Fresno, CA
thank you Markw84!! great suggestion!!! That would a very useful tool to have (A Solarmeter 6.5) since I have redear sliders and a Bearded Dragon that also have UV lights , that I should check ! and no problem at all with moving up the UV in my enclosure... thanks again! great tips and ideas!!

oops... well may have to hold off on that solarmeter..... until I can find one that isn't in the $200 range :)..... that's probably why I don't have one.... price point :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
oops... well may have to hold off on that solarmeter..... until I can find one that isn't in the $200 range :)..... that's probably why I don't have one.... price point :)
Yes, they are pricey. Don't go for another cheaper version though. Others will not give you the reading you are after. Many cheaper types only give you an idea of overall UV - which is mostly UVA. Only the solarmeter 6.5 is balanced to read primarily the UVB output in the range necessary for D3 production. I have nothing to do with that company, nor represent them. A simple recommendation to get the best for what our tortoises really need!

Save up and get the correct one.

Fresno, CA
Yes, they are pricey. Don't go for another cheaper version though. ....Only the solarmeter 6.5 is balanced........

Save up and get the correct one.

I searched on it just after you suggested it... I have it saved in my Amazon cart :)...... $231.63.... so I can sit and think about it.... and end up getting it anyway... ha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I searched on it just after you suggested it... I have it saved in my Amazon cart :)...... $231.63.... so I can sit and think about it.... and end up getting it anyway... ha

Having the meter is really the only way to know if your bulbs are at the correct height and also when to replace the bulbs. Many manufacturers recommend replacing the bulbs every six months. I've got 10.0 bulbs that are over three years old and still making the same UVB that they made when new. I have 12% HO bulbs that are two years old and have lost about 10% of their UV output, but they are still making way more than enough UV to keep my tortoises healthy. I would have spent more than the price of the meter replacing all those bulbs in one year if I didn't have my meter.

The meter will save you money and also let you know whether your tortoise's UV needs are being met, or not. Not having a meter is sort of like not having a thermometer. Not something we should be guessing at.

I don't work for them either or get a cut…

M

Maggie Cummings

Or put it out in the sun.....I also have most of that lighting in my tort shed. It's 20'X12'., but I've been throwing everybody outside as they've been in for most of the winter. We had sun today, it was 54 degrees and all were out.....the box turtles even tried the water. I think it was too cold for them.......I turn off all the lights except the 2 150 watt Powersun UVB basking lights when they can go out.