Persistent URI?

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi everyone, I have a Golden Greek Tortoise, and ever since I bought her, she's had a URI.

I've taken her to the vet twice, and I've only had her since August, and both times they've told me its a URI. I've been prescribed "Ofloxacin Ophthalmic Solution, 0.3%" each time. The bottle tells me 1 drop into each nostril, after I clear it, every 12 hours, and I've done that both times!

This URI just doesn't seem to be going away. Any suggestions? I'm kind of to the point where if she doesn't get better, I want to sell her to someone who can care for her and hopefully get some of my money back.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi everyone, I have a Golden Greek Tortoise, and ever since I bought her, she's had a URI.

I've taken her to the vet twice, and I've only had her since August, and both times they've told me its a URI. I've been prescribed "Ofloxacin Ophthalmic Solution, 0.3%" each time. The bottle tells me 1 drop into each nostril, after I clear it, every 12 hours, and I've done that both times!

This URI just doesn't seem to be going away. Any suggestions? I'm kind of to the point where if she doesn't get better, I want to sell her to someone who can care for her and hopefully get some of my money back.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
She's outside. I live in Arizona, and even now, during the days it's in the 90's, and at night it's maybe 70, at the lowest. I've always kept my tortoises outside, and the vet I took her to said it'd be good to keep her outside so she gets some good sunlight.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Maybe bring in during the night until symptoms go away. I wouldn't let her get below 80 with a uri.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
My Greek hates cool temperatures and will get a runny nose when they are low, maybe that's the issue?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Do you think perhaps it's too dry and dusty outside, for her? Maybe she needs higher and more stable humidity?

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Ascott alluded to, unless the vet performed a nasal swab and smear and actually looked at it under the microscope, they're just guessing. It may not be an actual INFECTION at all. Tortoises have bubbly/runny noses when stressed and it has nothing to do with an infection. As long as the tortoise is eating and acting normally, I wouldn't worry about a wet nose. Set it up in a habitat, whether outdoors or inside, and leave it alone to be a tortoise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Like Ascott alluded to, unless the vet performed a nasal swab and smear and actually looked at it under the microscope, they're just guessing. It may not be an actual INFECTION at all. Tortoises have bubbly/runny noses when stressed and it has nothing to do with an infection. As long as the tortoise is eating and acting normally, I wouldn't worry about a wet nose. Set it up in a habitat, whether outdoors or inside, and leave it alone to be a tortoise.

Thanks Yvonne, yup....just what she said :D I would also provide a bit warmer area that remains no less than 80 degrees for a couple of weeks and see how the tort likes that.....