Sulcata with URI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
We had a Sulcata come down with a URI, thank goodness he was the only one, geeesh how expensive vets can be. This was my first time dealing with a URI and I wanted to post my experience and see what others have done to deal with URI's.

Our vet is tortoise experienced but not a reptile vet.
He gave the tort fluids to help rehydrate and vit B shots to stimulate appetite and as the vet bill was mounting I asked for something I could give him at home, he said the course was an antibiotic injection every other day for two weeks. We followed the course and the tortoise is doing great now (He is 12 yrs old, 70 lbs and approx. 22 inches) From anyone else dealing with URI's was this the proper way to go?
It worked, I've no complaints other than the 1200 vet bill I have to make payments on. But the boy is back to an eating, pooping and all over the place boy again.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Wow 1200 for fluids, a shot, and some antibiotics just for this animals visit?

I always heat the animals entire surroundings up to warm 80s minimum. Soak to hydrate, and add some baby food, or canned carrots, squash etc... if they are coming down with an URI. Sometimes if discharge is severe I will get a swab done and use antibiotics depending on strain of infection. Bacterial pneumonia can be tricky and lengthy to overcome. But its always best to keep your tort when the weather goes up and down with temps, warm at all times. I do have to say I would be questioning if your vet charged you that much for this one treatment and animals visit. All of those combined only run about 50-80 dollars their cost for a 1200cc bag of fluids, bottle of vitamin injections(which is usually a bad choice to undergo), and antibiotic. Not attacking just trying to help you out. They over charged you by a lot.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Wow 1200 for fluids, a shot, and some antibiotics just for this animals visit?

I always heat the animals entire surroundings up to warm 80s minimum. Soak to hydrate, and add some baby food, or canned carrots, squash etc... if they are coming down with an URI. Sometimes if discharge is severe I will get a swab done and use antibiotics depending on strain of infection. Bacterial pneumonia can be tricky and lengthy to overcome. But its always best to keep your tort when the weather goes up and down with temps, warm at all times. I do have to say I would be questioning if your vet charged you that much for this one treatment and animals visit. All of those combined only run about 50-80 dollars their cost for a 1200cc bag of fluids, bottle of vitamin injections(which is usually a bad choice to undergo), and antibiotic. Not attacking just trying to help you out. They over charged you by a lot.

I agree with the above, my inside dog got a mouth infection, and had half his teeth removed, and we got his shots at the same time and it only cost 200. I'd look around for another vet.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Vets in my area are quite expensive. Even what side of the state one lives on is a huge difference in prices.
But the 1200 was for 5 or 6 visits. Every other day for two weeks.

This is one of my invoices:

BAYTRIL 2.27 INJ BAYTRIL 2.27 INJ 13.98 13.98T
BAYTRIL 100ML I... 1.8 BAYTRIL 100ML INJ 21.72778 39.11T
EXOTIC OFFICE ... EXOTIC OFFICE CALL 58.30 58.30
SALINE FLUSH SALINE FLUSH 2.50 2.50T
SUB Q FLUID TH... 300 SUB Q FLUID THERAPY 0.29 87.00T
B COMPLEX INJ 1 B COMPLEX INJ 22.25 22.25T
SALES TAX (SHIP TO: KITSAP CO-1800) 8.60% 14.18

Each visit was like $230. ish. Thank goodness my vet knows me and takes payments.
Baytril is shown twice as one was an injection and the other in the nasal flush. This boy was refusing to eat, would not
drink when soaked and was pretty darn raspy. Nasal was clogged but it was clear crust not colored yukky type discharge.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Were x-rays done as well to assess the severity of the RI? These get expensive and other require consultation with an
x-ray tech to evaluate. The fact that they are willing to carry the debt with payments, speaks volumes to their credit, as alot of vets will not do that.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
No xrays were done and yes we are very lucky to have a good repore with our vet. He tells us that all these pets aren't ours they are his and we just get to feed and clean up after them.
He is very caring and compassionate and takes payments when needed to. If I were to ever win the lotto one thing I would do
in light of his kindness and compassion to many many people is have a custom built building with all new equipment and donate to him.

Since this boy would not eat, nor drink soaking and meds in food would not of worked. It's a good thing all tortoises are kept separate. No one else has been ill.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Blessed3x said:
Vets in my area are quite expensive. Even what side of the state one lives on is a huge difference in prices.
But the 1200 was for 5 or 6 visits. Every other day for two weeks.

This is one of my invoices:

BAYTRIL 2.27 INJ BAYTRIL 2.27 INJ 13.98 13.98T
BAYTRIL 100ML I... 1.8 BAYTRIL 100ML INJ 21.72778 39.11T
EXOTIC OFFICE ... EXOTIC OFFICE CALL 58.30 58.30
SALINE FLUSH SALINE FLUSH 2.50 2.50T
SUB Q FLUID TH... 300 SUB Q FLUID THERAPY 0.29 87.00T
B COMPLEX INJ 1 B COMPLEX INJ 22.25 22.25T
SALES TAX (SHIP TO: KITSAP CO-1800) 8.60% 14.18

Each visit was like $230. ish. Thank goodness my vet knows me and takes payments.
Baytril is shown twice as one was an injection and the other in the nasal flush. This boy was refusing to eat, would not
drink when soaked and was pretty darn raspy. Nasal was clogged but it was clear crust not colored yukky type discharge.

Ok, that makes more sense if its many visits. I was about to say. Glad hes doing better.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Thank you, I'm so glad also. He had me very very worried. I could not imagine losing him or any of my tortoises.
After the third visit he finally poops and ate like a champ and continues to do wonderfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.