Personable tortoises

Bieldesigns

Location (City and/or State)
Pelham
Hi all! I have a russian tort with lots of attitude! He comes up to us when we talk to him. He just comes up and let's us rub his shell and even the top of his head. His biggest thing is people watching him eat, he hates it. He will be at his food dish ready to eat but will look at you until you move away! My neighbor took care of him while we were out of town for a week. She was surprised at how much personality he had. She was surprised at how he wouldn't eat with her watching. She laughed when he did it to her. Eventhough I told her she just didnt believe the personality! Hes just so funny! We talk to h everyday and I think that's why hes so friendly with us.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
My redfoot immediately turns towards me when I come up to her enclosure. She doesn't do that for my husband or my son. Ive even caught myself doing the come kitty kissy noise and she actually has a few times ? not saying she came because of that noise, but still haha. And as soon as i pick her up to chill in my hand while I get her bath placed she immediately spreads out and starfishes in my hand like if we found a super comfy bed lol. Such a goofball.

My leopard just looks at me and basically flips me off and keeps on truckin'.

Hahahahaha!!!!! Leopards are like that.. don’t care if ya talk to em don’t care if ya eat em..... How rude!??????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I've rehomed some individuals that I received sickly and got them healthy again. Probably 10 or so.
I've also rehomed some males. Maybe 3 or 4.
Then there were 5 babies that I hatched.
One Cherryhead that I didn't have a separate pen for.
And one special needs baby.
I've definitely posted most of them here. And most of the new owners are members here.

SOUTHERN REPTILES is here in south Florida.
Ryan is a great guy with nice, robust animals.
He is my breeder of choice, if you are asking.
I've rehomed some individuals that I received sickly and got them healthy again. Probably 10 or so.
I've also rehomed some males. Maybe 3 or 4.
Then there were 5 babies that I hatched.
One Cherryhead that I didn't have a separate pen for.
And one special needs baby.
I've definitely posted most of them here. And most of the new owners are members here.

SOUTHERN REPTILES is here in south Florida.
Ryan is a great guy with nice, robust animals.
He is my breeder of choice, if you are asking.

what makes the baby special needs??
May we see pictures????
You sound like a great owner for these poor little guys...

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have 3 sulcatas. One of them is Super personable.... but only to me;-) he loves his head and legs scratched and will actually sit on top of my feet just to hang out.. one of the others is very chilled and friendly to everyone but doesn’t actually seek out attention.. and the third - well he’s not friendly at all ?

You must have a HUGE house!!!
3!!!????? What were you thinking?
I have one and my hands are FUUULLL!!!!!
She sits on ME when she wants my attention... and then falls asleep!! (So do my legs....) ?. She is a big one and heavy to boot!!!! Let me find a picture...?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Your what? Do ya have a kind of tortoise that I never heard of? lol You doing a 'computer speak' thing? Teasing you

i was just reading this and thinking to myself.... sulfate??? Why did they call him sulfate???.... ?????????

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I jokingly refer to my little guy Kronk, also a Russian, as my therapist. I sit by his enclosure for hours at a time some days and just talk to him. When I call him and knock on his glass, he'll come out of his little bed room and actually act like he's listening to me. He sits at the front of his enclosure looking right at me, or walks back and forth, and I just tell him about my day and what's going on in the world. I would bet that he is the tort most aware of Covid, lol. We also take him out, and he's allowed free roam of the sofa and our bodies. He prefers to sit on my chest and watch me play on the lap top. Or, if we're watching tv, I will cover him with this tiny blanket so he can still peak out but he feels secure, then I rub his butt. He often falls asleep on my chest like that. That's when I refer to him as "my heart."View attachment 298320
My little water turtle is also well aware of COVID 19 as I taped him to a Hot Wheels car and filmed him driving around on the floor...Kronk is cute

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
what makes the baby special needs??
May we see pictures????
You sound like a great owner for these poor little guys...
That tortoise had his own thread.
It was a couple of years old, but the size of a 3 month old.
He also had jaw and facial deformities.
Unfortunately I lost the phone number of the wonderful lady that adopted him at the beginning of this virus.
Hopefully she'll contact me again because there was a pretty good deal of progress.

Attachments

• 20190801_131623.jpg
    20190801_131623.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
That tortoise had his own thread.
It was a couple of years old, but the size of a 3 month old.
He also had jaw and facial deformities.
Unfortunately I lost the phone number of the wonderful lady that adopted him at the beginning of this virus.
Hopefully she'll contact me again because there was a pretty good deal of progress.
That’s is so great!!! Was she really nice??
I hope she will be a good owner... especially if he has special needs...
I am always the one running to animals that have deformaties or missing limbs..?
I feel the need to care for and adopt them.
I don’t know why???
Maybe I’m nuts....?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That’s is so great!!! Was she really nice??
I hope she will be a good owner... especially if he has special needs...
I am always the one running to animals that have deformaties or missing limbs..?
I feel the need to care for and adopt them.
I don’t know why???
Maybe I’m nuts....?
I feel the same call.
But I know when I've done all that I can do or when I get in over my head.
If you have time, search the "Queen Bertha" threads. (Big Bertha)
She was the best life saving story I've ever had. And she is doing Great today.
I'm very proud of that one.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I feel the same call.
If you have time, search the "Queen Bertha" threads.
She was the best life saving story I've ever had. And she is doing Great today

Sold!!! I will look tonight. I LOVE a good rescue story.. thanks for telling me.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I feel the same call.
If you have time, search the "Queen Bertha" threads. (Big Bertha)
She was the best life saving story I've ever had. And she is doing Great today.
I'm very proud of that one.
I feel the same. Thats probably why all my dogs (and my husband ?) have seizures. All babies need love and care

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I think that expanding that to include reptiles is still pretty unusual
True.
Most people don't care about anything more than a dog or cat. Sometimes not even then. I'm a dog groomer and sometimes unfortunately I see prime examples ?
Any animal I take on turns into one of my children. Even my fish lol. My dad thinks I'm crazy to have my tortoises. He thinks they have no affection or joy to give. I obviously disagree.