can you "spoil" a tortoise?

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Just wondering if you can spoil a tortoise like you can a child or dog? I have been letting Willow on my bed to wander( she LOVES this!) for a bit at night but then seems to NOT want to be back in her enclosure. it's funny to watch her becuase she nips at my comfortor,pillows and anything else that might be on the bed at the time. Since having the mercury vapor SUN GLO lamp, and all her new things ( including cypress mulch bedding) she seems quite active and eating like crazy. I do limit what and how much she eats though for fear of shell deformation. Last night she was kind mad at me for telling her we would have "blanket time" later then going to bed early and forgetting it :( She started ramming her enclosure . for some crazy reason she preffers MY bed above all else and tries to get out of her enclosure by getting on her log and rearing up. I have NEVER seen a tortoise do that before! Mom says I will prob end up sharing my bed with her when she is alot bigger LOL. it takes me and another to watch her when she is on it becuase she moves FAST!once she is alot bigger I plan to have her outside durinng our summer months. hopefully she won't learn how to climb chain link fencing! Willow also seems to love people being around and will come to us now( I do not allow hand feeding becuase I don't want her to become nippy). When I listen to Music she will come to the side of her enclosure that is nearest to me ( even awakening from sleep!) and rush over to greet me. My family swears she has grown in the few weeks I have had her. Back to my original topic... can I be spoiling her with "blanket time"? or is it good for her to get out and wander on the bed? ( the floor is too dangerous for her at her size)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, not really. He doesn't want to go back in because it's a small enclosure, no matter how big it is. They will always want to go further. If you were to let him crawl off your bed (no, I'm not recommending you do this :D) that's what he would do and then keep going.

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
wellington said:
No, not really. He doesn't want to go back in because it's a small enclosure, no matter how big it is. They will always want to go further. If you were to let him crawl off your bed (no, I'm not recommending you do this :D) that's what he would do and then keep going.
she does try to crawl off the bed but is watched VERY CLOSE. the last thing I want is a tortoise with a cracked shell or dead :( too attached to her as it is. ( actually I am wanting another tort in the future)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Wellington, and shell deformation is not caused by food. It is caused by growth in overly dry conditions.

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I agree with Wellington, and shell deformation is not caused by food. It is caused by growth in overly dry conditions.
I keep her enclosure well hydrated.. having cypress mulch helps too. Thinking about ordering her a reptile mister but I have to research this first. Yes I have heard that too about overdry conditions.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I think its more repatition. Do you take him out around the same time daily? I have a redfoot who does the same thing daily , i call him spoiled.

Obbie

Minnesota
Just an FYI, I learned from the experts here, that our tortoises are solitary guys. From what I’ve seen and read, they end up bullying each other, sometimes causing physical injuries. Not to mention, the stress of being bullied.
I know how lovable my Mali ?? is, yes she’s spoiled !

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Great information here.
On a side note, certain foods can get a tortoise "spoiled" into refusing other foods.
Fruit or Mazuri sometimes does this. And the fasting can last for weeks until the tortoise gives in due to hunger

VilladelaSammie

st george utah
I have an eight month old Sulcata that loves to be outside his house. Since I don't like him to wander around on the floor because of my brother's dogs, I got one of those folding play pens for kids that fold down and you store in a canvas to-go bag. It has worked out great because it is easy to take with me, keeps him off the floor so he doesn't get into stuff and keeps him safe from being stepped on or hurt by other pets or people. They clean up easily with some baby wipes and are great for peace of mind knowing your baby is safe. Lol
He likes his play pen well enough but gets bored in it by himself. Since I can't always just sit around and play with him or supervise him wandering around, I have begun making him temporary play places and little race tracks out of cardboard boxes. He likes those for getting some exercise and since they are just cardboard, I can toss them out after he gets bored with them and easily make a new design for him to explore. At night he seems to prefer sleeping in bed with us and usually cuddles with me or creeps over to sleep by my little dog. He likes the dogs and has absolutely no fear of them and will climb right over the top of them if they are in his way. Anyway, I was always told you can't spoil your kids by loving them too much and I think that applies to the four legged ones too. Sometimes he will want out but for whatever reason I can't take him out, he will pace around for a bit but when he realizes I am not picking him up he goes and takes a nap or sits under see his uv lamp for a while. So, don't worry about your baby getting spoiled. A lot of attention only helps develop their personalities and makes them better friends.
PS I would count any woman as one lucky lady to have a man that loves tortoises and wants to have as many as he could.