Petco torts

TacoTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Capital of California
Usually when i go to petco the animals there have a decent enclosure, I know that when they are shipped they are treated horribly. But when I look at the tortoises they are taken care of by people who do not know how to take care of tortoises. Yes i know petco animals are not in great shape but in my petco, the tortoises are treated the worst. They are fed only fruit and most of them have a spot on there shell rotting. D: why the tortoises!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure why the tortoises, except it's only been about 5-6 years now that the truth has been figured out about the proper way to care and feed them.
Now, that said, an I mean this in the nicest way, unless you try to offer the store advice, you are not helping the animals by just complaining here.
Animals don't have voices, that is what animal loving humans are for. So, if you have too, print some of the care sheets from this forum and go to the store and ask to talk to the manager. Offer to help them be things better for the tortoises and /or offer the caresheets and tell them about this forum.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
The tortoises at my petco get treated pretty good except for having two three together. They get fed spring mix with some fruits and do get soaked at least once a week. their enclosure is small its about a fourty gallon size but the do have a basking and uv not sure wich bulb type and they do have water avalible with a hide.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Usually when i go to petco the animals there have a decent enclosure, I know that when they are shipped they are treated horribly. But when I look at the tortoises they are taken care of by people who do not know how to take care of tortoises. Yes i know petco animals are not in great shape but in my petco, the tortoises are treated the worst. They are fed only fruit and most of them have a spot on there shell rotting. D: why the tortoises!

As a very smart woman on this forum has mentioned before....tortoise in pet shops are meant to be sold and not housed with the plan of it living out its life there...likely the shell rot you see is from prior living...healing and such...if you want to promote change then the best thing to do is to try to educate the store staff....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Not sure why the tortoises, except it's only been about 5-6 years now that the truth has been figured out about the proper way to care and feed them.
Now, that said, an I mean this in the nicest way, unless you try to offer the store advice, you are not helping the animals by just complaining here.
Animals don't have voices, that is what animal loving humans are for. So, if you have too, print some of the care sheets from this forum and go to the store and ask to talk to the manager. Offer to help them be things better for the tortoises and /or offer the caresheets and tell them about this forum.

I find this to be a completely inaccurate "feeling" statement....tortoise care is constantly evolving, as is any other subject in life....there is no "right" way to care for a vast number of tortoise species....sometimes folks inquire in places they thought was a comfortable place to do so--in hope for direction and suggestion...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I find this to be a completely inaccurate "feeling" statement....tortoise care is constantly evolving, as is any other subject in life....there is no "right" way to care for a vast number of tortoise species....sometimes folks inquire in places they thought was a comfortable place to do so--in hope for direction and suggestion...
I read this three times and I don't know what you're talking about. There are right ways to care for tortoises, or variations right ways. And different species require different care. And what is the "feeling statement" you were talking about? Please clarify.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I read this three times and I don't know what you're talking about. There are right ways to care for tortoises, or variations right ways. And different species require different care. And what is the "feeling statement" you were talking about? Please clarify.

It was incorrectly stated;

it's only been about 5-6 years now that the truth has been figured out about the proper way to care and feed them.

Whit implies anything prior to the last 5-6 years has been the "improper" way---which is incorrect. This statement is a statement based on "feeling" and not years of fact/proof. Clarified?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It was incorrectly stated;

Whit implies anything prior to the last 5-6 years has been the "improper" way---which is incorrect. This statement is a statement based on "feeling" and not years of fact/proof. Clarified?
Yes it is clarified.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Several reasons spring to mind, they don't whine or complain, like cats or dogs. Sara mclaughlin is not on tv singing sad songs about them. People tend to view tortoises as rocks, and you can't mistreat rocks, right?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
they don't whine or complain, like cats or dogs.
Most pets don't whine or complain. I could keep my rabbits and parakeets alone until they go crazy of loneliness, but they wouldn't whine. I could feed my cat only carrots until he dies of diarrhea or fatten him up until he can't stand on his own feet anymore. I'm sure he wouldn't complain.

I guess it's common knowledge how to care for a cat or dog, but most people just don't know how to care for a tortoise.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA

Everything we think we "know" today is subject to change. Remember, previously, serious tortoise keepers 'thought' they knew what was correct. They studied habitat, behavior and many were successfully, even if accidentally, raising perfectly healthy tortoises.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
my take on this is to talk to the manager at the pet store. If you see something wrong bring it to their attention. I have a good relationship with the managers of the 2 petstores I go to. the one petstore manager even took a look at this site. He made changes and I was so happy. He also told me that he will give new owners the address to this site when they do purchase. if we can change petstores even one at a time it will make a difference.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Our local Petco is always slam full of Russians..Right next to the shelf with the colorful, horrible food pellets and the coiled bulbs.
If they act like they care...They are acting.
The family owned shops are much more sympathetic.

TacoTortoise

Capital of California
True, i shouldn't be complaining here. Just wanted to know if all pet stores treated the tortoises the worst.