PetSmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannomite

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

Just thought i'd share my experience with PetSmart. Not to toot a corporation's horn or anything (no i don't work there).

I have a Sulcata and I had him under a ReptiSun 5.0 Compact Fluorescent (coil) bulb. After doing a lot of reading I saw that this can be quite bad as they are known to cause eye issues due to the brightness. I even glanced at it a few times and saw that it was super bright and if it hurts my eyes I could only imagine how it felt for my Sulcata 12 hours a day. So I went there and explained to the Manager about how this is a known issue and they shouldn't be recommending this stuff for Torts. He did not know about this and said that the last thing he wants is a blind tortoise on his conscience. He gave me all my money back and I spent it there to get a new 10.0 tube light instead.

I'm sure we've all dealt with lots of companies who have screwed us or been a pain in the a** but I wanted to share my good experience with this company. Yah they should not have recommended that light in the first place but they cant know everything about every animal and they gave me a full refund almost 6 months after I bought it, with no boxes or receipts!

I should say that he gave me the money for the bulb ($20) and the Compact Fluorescent enclosure ($30)...with tax it was almost $60 refund

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wow that is pretty good. They gave you cash or store credit? Petsmart, aside from not really being knowlegable about most reptiles is a good store IMO. I love to shop there. Most of my local petshops are kind of dirty...sorry to say. Plus petsmart doesnt sell all kinds of puppies and stuff like that AND has the adoption center. I feel great giving them my business. Just do your own homework before buying ANY animal or specific supplies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for sharing, it is really nice to hear good stories about petshop. I dont think the pet shop near my place would exchange a light after 6 months even if it could hurt my tortoise. You are lucky to have a store like that near your place :)

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The petsmart I went to ignored me. And they still continue to sell those compact bulbs.

dannomite

5 Year Member
dcoolguy68, i've read other info for other animals and those compact bulbs do wonders for other Reptiles, so I don't think they'd take them down just for Torts....I guess they should just train the staff to know this but I should have done a bit more research before I went instead of taking their advice

Oogie

5 Year Member
that's the one thing i like about petco/petsmart...it's a no questions asked policy for returns. unfortunately, the reptile store i usually go to (for price and larger selection) don't give refunds on products used in a tank/terrarium. we found this out the hard way...we bought a $40 exo terra turtle bank magnetic floating island because it was highly recommended by one of the workers and he said he was certain it would hold a 8.5" cl RES...well, not only did it not hold my RES, one of the magnets wouldn't even hold the dock! we went to return it the next day and they said they wouldn't accept it because we already put it in the tank!! well...i (a not-so-happy pregnant woman) finally got them to settle for store credit.

ps...i've had great success with the reptiglo 10.0 compacts! absolutely LOVE them!

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
dannomite said:
dcoolguy68, i've read other info for other animals and those compact bulbs do wonders for other Reptiles, so I don't think they'd take them down just for Torts....I guess they should just train the staff to know this but I should have done a bit more research before I went instead of taking their advice

actually, they've cause eye problems in mult. species including geckos and bearded dragons. I don't think they are safe to use period.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Glad they made the exchange for you. However, I hope the fluorescent 10 is a ReptiSun and NOT a ReptiGlo. The ReptiGlo 10 is as bad as the coils & compacts. My PetSmart doesn't carry the ReptiSun 10's.
Good luck
Patsy

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...We recommend no coils, no compacts, and no ReptiGlo 10. They all have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems. The ReptiSun 10 is good, and the Mercury Vapor Bulbs, MegaRay and T-Rex Active Heat are the 3 best and safest bulbs. The MVB cost a bit more but need replacing once a year instead of every 6 months with the long fluorescent tubes (ReptiSun 10). The ReptiSun needs to be 6"-8" from him/her and the MVB 100 watts needs to be 12" away & 160 watts needs to be 18" away.

Good luck
Patsy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
Thanks. I have a reptiglo 5.0 I have never used (someone bought it for me) and need a new bulb for the new kids. I will go buy a new bulb.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.