Opinions on PetsMart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I would not recommend purchasing from Petsmart. I think it is sad that they are wild caught..who knows how they are transported (with many others by the hundreds-disease parasites)..and then placed in a small enclosure in a pet store where often care is not proper care. I can't imagine how their worlds have changed.It is sad to me. The stress alone would make their immune system weakin. There are so many tortoises it seems being bred that I don't see the need for wild caught torts.I don't see why Petsmart does not purchase from captive breed breeders. However I could see me purchasing one out of pitty as they are all beautiful and sadly can't go home back to the wild. So I don't look at them anymore because I don't want to support wild caught torts being sold to save & make a buck. I am hoping with all the vet bills they will decide wild caught torts are not worth it ;) Those who purchased from Petsmart I am glad they ended up in good homes with people who care ..thats why we are all here!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Yes, indeed. It's a whole 'nother thread, but there is some politics/law in tort sales, the larger than 4 inches rule which I think makes it unprofitable for captive bred to be a part of places like Petco/Petsmart. I am not familiar with all that, due diligence on my part is in order, but I think I understand it to be that the law prevents in-house (USA) commerce. I wanted to write a letter asking for more captive bred babies and my neighbor slightly explained the 4 inch rule to me.

I did feel quite guilty when I researched after my quick on the draw purchase but honestly, I am glad that my 5-8 year old, 5 inch plus Greeks are beloved pets at my home now. I wish they could tell me their story before we met ...

Need a pet psychic, lol!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Yes, indeed. It's a whole 'nother thread, but there is some politics/law in tort sales, the larger than 4 inches rule which I think makes it unprofitable for captive bred to be a part of places like Petco/Petsmart. I am not familiar with all that, due diligence on my part is in order, but I think I understand it to be that the law prevents in-house (USA) commerce. I wanted to write a letter asking for more captive bred babies and my neighbor slightly explained the 4 inch rule to me.

I did feel quite guilty when I researched after my quick on the draw purchase but honestly, I am glad that my 5-8 year old, 5 inch plus Greeks are beloved pets at my home now. I wish they could tell me their story before we met ...

Need a pet psychic, lol!

I always read the 4 inch law but don't understand it. I did purchase my baby Leo from a pet store that specializes in reptiles & birds.They have a variety of babies. I don't know if they have special permission or what. I can't go there anymore because they always have a variety of torts & boxies both babies & adults.This is were i purchased my Greek too. I also noticed another pet shop had a baby for sale. Torts must be getting more popular as this was the first time I have ever seen a tort at this place so I am not sure on the 4 inch law. I know there is one but not sure why some pet stores are able to sell babies under 4 inches while others can't or won't.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1363874813.238729.jpg

This is how my petsmart keeps their Russian tortoises. The enclosure is so small for 1 but there was 2 in there! Underneath that one in the pic was another getting stomped on!

Last edited by a moderator:

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
I purchased my Greek, Darwin, from Petsmart. However, I am also an associate at the store.

While I love my job, I am disappointed on how they house the pets we sell.
However, I was able to get my store to transform the large bottom portion of the reptile habitats into a tortoise enclosure. It might not bet great, but it does give them more room to move around.

I do my best to give my customers the best information I can about tortoises (as well as the other animals) and even point them to internet forums (like this one!). While it is against store standards to give our tortoises fresh greens, my manager has allowed me to bring in some of my own from home to give to the torts and the beardies.

It might be only one store but I am doing my best to make a difference.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Instinct said:
I purchased my Greek, Darwin, from Petsmart. However, I am also an associate at the store.

While I love my job, I am disappointed on how they house the pets we sell.
However, I was able to get my store to transform the large bottom portion of the reptile habitats into a tortoise enclosure. It might not bet great, but it does give them more room to move around.

I do my best to give my customers the best information I can about tortoises (as well as the other animals) and even point them to internet forums (like this one!). While it is against store standards to give our tortoises fresh greens, my manager has allowed me to bring in some of my own from home to give to the torts and the beardies.

It might be only one store but I am doing my best to make a difference.

This is awesome I am so glad you are there for those torts :)

MasterOogway said:
This is awesome I am so glad you are there for those torts :)

Also is it store policy to not offer fresh greens to sell the tortoise food at the store?

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
MasterOogway said:
Also is it store policy to not offer fresh greens to sell the tortoise food at the store?

Hopefully I am answering your last question right. It's late and my mind is all over the place. =)

I'm thinking that is the only reason why they don't allow us to give the tortoises fresh greens.
Corporate wants us to feed them food a customer can find on our shelves.

They eat ZooMed Grassland Tortoise diet with the Zilla Vegetable Mix. Misted down to make it softer.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
lkwagner: Yep, totally ... that's how my 2 Greeks were when I saw them as I was dashing to get some a few aquarium plants. Had to rescue them. Impulsive buy. Could.Not.Leave.Them.There. I was guilty of buying them without even knowing what the hell they were. Must.Get. I am so glad I did. Love them.

Instinct: I love that you are on this forum and reading and getting educated. Every little bit that any and all associates learn in order to do a better service to the animals that are sold at the stores, the better. Like Ghandi said: We are accountable for what we do and for what we don't do.

I have shared the forum with the associates I bought my 2 from, in the hopes that they will share with eventual customers, for the safe keeping of these little creatures. The more people learn and share, the better for the tortoises/turtles. It should be that way for all animals. They all deserve the best care any of us can give them once they are in our hands. Not their fault they got plucked into a journey from their native lands, into the back of a truck, to a boat or plane and into our country for us to buy ... but if every customer does right by them and they have happy, healthy, comfy lives then it can perhaps be an all-for-the-good situation, in my opinion.

Brandrep88

5 Year Member
i were once interested in a greek tortoise from petsmart, then i saw the brutal beating its shell had taken in the wild and decided to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.