Petsmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I believe I did a good thing today. I went into Petsmart to buy Derby some timothy hay. While I was there, I noticed they had a Redfoot tortoise on display. This redfoot was in an extremely small enclosure with nothing but sand (with no moisture whatsoever, mind you, for this south american tortoise), only Rep Cal tortoise food (which I wouldn't even feed my own), and a small high water dish (that I'm sure he wouldn't be able to reach or get into if he tried).

Underneath the tank, there was a sign that said if you had an issue, please consult the manager. I went to tell the manager and she said that what they do is Petsmart protocol but she'll see what she can do to change the enclosure. She seemed genuinely concerned (but you never know). I intend to check up on this little guy (who is pyramiding quite mildly) every couple of days.

Other than that, there's not much else I can do, but make sure they take my advice before I call up someone with more authority.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I guess our pet co is trying to do better. they used to house their russians and the occassional red foot in the usual small tanks. however i did notice that they are not usuing the bark substrate anymore. they are usuing a forrest soil mix and the last few times it has been moist. It isnt a big change, but it is something. maybe the word is starting to get around. I think that if people keep trying to educate them it may work. but what really needs to be done is try to get the attention of someone on top of the executive chain. but like all else, these things take alot of time and patience to accomplish.

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
sara said:
I guess our pet co is trying to do better. they used to house their russians and the occassional red foot in the usual small tanks. however i did notice that they are not usuing the bark substrate anymore. they are usuing a forrest soil mix and the last few times it has been moist. It isnt a big change, but it is something. maybe the word is starting to get around. I think that if people keep trying to educate them it may work. but what really needs to be done is try to get the attention of someone on top of the executive chain. but like all else, these things take alot of time and patience to accomplish.

I completely agree. If people start complaining to the top of these companies, I'm sure they'll do something. The fact the manager said it was "protocol" for a redfoot made me upset. Petsmart obviously knows nothing about them. And if they can't do it right, they shouldn't sell them. It's good that your local pet co is trying, though.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
The Petco near my house has russians and redfoots together in a very, very small enclosure, AND there were 4 of them in there!!!! And as a bonus those poor little torties were served iceberg lettuce, and nothing else, I asked!

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
Torty Mom said:
The Petco near my house has russians and redfoots together in a very, very small enclosure, AND there were 4 of them in there!!!! And as a bonus those poor little torties were served iceberg lettuce, and nothing else, I asked!

My gosh, that's awful. I would report them. I really don't know how this goes unnoticed by so many people. And the worst part is, when you buy one from a place like that, they'll tell you to do exactly what they're doing. It's an ongoing cycle.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I am actually pretty suprised with the set up for the red foot at my local petsmart. They have coconut coir bedding(grounded) A humidity gauge which measured 80% humidity and had different assortments of lettuce they also had a water bowl. Of course the enclosure is to small and they dont really have a designated basking spot but it sounds better than what these other stores. I wonder why that is.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
There is a new Petco where I live, and their enclosures are really great. Their water turtle tank is one of the best I've seen anywhere. Now Petland Discount...that's another story. I've complained many, many times about the Redfoot in there, and although they did change the food he still sits there in a dry tank. Sad........

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
Marty333 said:
I am actually pretty suprised with the set up for the red foot at my local petsmart. They have coconut coir bedding(grounded) A humidity gauge which measured 80% humidity and had different assortments of lettuce they also had a water bowl. Of course the enclosure is to small and they dont really have a designated basking spot but it sounds better than what these other stores. I wonder why that is.

That does sound a lot nicer. Maybe the manager wasn't truthful when she said it was protocol... They seemed to know a little more about them at yours.

terryo said:
There is a new Petco where I live, and their enclosures are really great. Their water turtle tank is one of the best I've seen anywhere. Now Petland Discount...that's another story. I've complained many, many times about the Redfoot in there, and although they did change the food he still sits there in a dry tank. Sad........

I guess it just depends on who manages the stores... And anything called something like "Petland Discount" doesn't sound very reliable... That really is sad. I hope that redfoot gets bought soon for his sake.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Knowledgable Employees and those that care and worth thier weight in gold!!!
Most have no clue and just want a paycheck.
Protocol is probably basic minimum care. If its provided, it passes. it doenst mean its good, or good long term...

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Derby, I spoke to the manager, she seemed more irritated than interested, I was kind and sweet and pretty much said "Hey just wannna let you know......" This was seriously about 2 weeks ago. If I had an extra $450.00 I would have bought them all! My hubby would have been mildly irritated for a few days, but he knows I try to save the world!!! Who could I report them too? I guess I could call their corporate office.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I got Bert from a reptile place. They were very knowlgeable and helpful. He had 2 others in with ber, i think one was a lepord and the other maybe a russian? But all were very healthy and alert and were outside in a pen. they had a mister going and good greens. They dont leave them out at night, they had a pen inside that was clean and warm and had plenty of room. So i believe it was a good choice to get him there.
We had gone to petco first and they had one that just didnt look good. It was one of the clerks who happily suggested this place for us to go. So i would say there is no exuse for poor mangement other than being poorly informed by the big wiggs who should know better.
I have to wonder why they got into the buisness? one usually has a passion for a hobby and does alot of research. didnt the original owner of pet co or pet smart start out like that? I guess it just got lost along the way when lots of money started rolling in.
anad one more question, I thought w.c. was illeagle. importing from other countries was illeagle.
so, where are they getting them from and how do they get away with it? or am i totally wrong and they get them from breeders?

Clock_Radio

5 Year Member
:( Bad mouthing Petsmart :( I am a manager a Petsmart and i dont know where you guys are from but at my store all of our animals are well taken care of and treated properly, and note that most often those Red foots come in with pyramiding already started. sorry to intrude the thread. but to blame a company for the stupidity of certain people working for the company.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
lets put it this way, we have all seen diplorable conditions somewhere. But we know pet stores are in it for the buisness. thats what they do. They get a fast turn around and make a quick buck. Kinda like all those designer puppies I see at Pet city. ( and as hard as it is, i would not get one from there because they just get more and the whole thing keeps going.)
But i will say not all pet stores are bad.
So in refrence to "clock_radio post. we do pick on pet co and pet smart becasue its what we see. But if these companies will listen to the people who raise these animals and know an awful lot, they would get a better reputation and have much happier and healthier animals to sell.
Sadly I have known people in the buisness. and they will not go to extreams to take these animals to the vet for care. They get sick, they toss em out, they get new ones. Not too long ago I witnessed a dead little russian in a colorado petco display tank. I know it was dead cause it hadnt moved in 2 days!
Agian i say that not all stores are like this. But it seems too many are.

Clock_Radio

5 Year Member
completely understand but at the same time it is a corporation, not every store is the same in the case of animal care, i wish they were but they arnt and never will be unfortunately. i work 10 hour shifts and within those 10 hours i make sure i make my rounds to check all live animals at least 4 times. and make sure that associates (new or old) are taking care of the animals like they should.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Clock_Radio said:
completely understand but at the same time it is a corporation, not every store is the same in the case of animal care, i wish they were but they arnt and never will be unfortunately. i work 10 hour shifts and within those 10 hours i make sure i make my rounds to check all live animals at least 4 times. and make sure that associates (new or old) are taking care of the animals like they should.
they need more managers like you. here is a question, and i dont want to sound rude, but its something that alot of us have run into.
If you were not educated in the proper care, except for what "they" told you, and a person who raised torts came in and saw that conditions were not being met and wanted to give you advice, how would you answer them?
Alot of times this happens and employees seem to get a little miffed.
would you be willing to listen and take advice? or just blow them off cause you are doing what the company tells you and thats that?
Its a hard question really. cause you want to say "yes", but companies have policies and are not always very willing when their employees start think outside the box. could cause waves.
I am someone who believes there are 2 sides to every story. and alot of the times we just dont like how the story ends. I also believe one person can make a world of diffrence if willing to take that chance.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Clock-Radio, could you send out a nationwide Memo?
Outlining basic care for whatever tortoises petsmart sells?
If one knowledgeable manager of just one type of pet sold at this chain did this for each animal (thinking about how many managers and how they should be knowledgeable in at least one of the animals stocked there, so each manager would be responsible for looking up the care of 1 animal and then reporting it nationwide) then the animals would be in better condition when being sold to the public who will also inquire about that 'mister' being used or that substrate or that large solid hamster wheel .. if you are in charge of hamster info...
This would be better directed revenue than your customer coming back with a sickly dead animal in a few days wanting refunds on it all or Petsmart instilling distrust in it's customers.....

Just an idea, as a manager you are probably in a better position to make a change than the casual employee.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Shelli said:
Clock-Radio, could you send out a nationwide Memo?
Outlining basic care for whatever tortoises petsmart sells?
If one knowledgeable manager of just one type of pet sold at this chain did this for each animal (thinking about how many managers and how they should be knowledgeable in at least one of the animals stocked there, so each manager would be responsible for looking up the care of 1 animal and then reporting it nationwide) then the animals would be in better condition when being sold to the public who will also inquire about that 'mister' being used or that substrate or that large solid hamster wheel .. if you are in charge of hamster info...
This would be better directed revenue than your customer coming back with a sickly dead animal in a few days wanting refunds on it all or Petsmart instilling distrust in it's customers.....

Just an idea, as a manager you are probably in a better position to make a change than the casual employee.
I just Love Jabas profile pic.!very photogenic isnt he?

moswen

5 Year Member
oh whatever petsmart protocol where? even in back woods oklahoma their red foots are kept on bark substrate.

Clock_Radio

5 Year Member
normally i am not always correct about every single detail on our animals, but i do know most. and we have plenty of reptile/animal lovers and hobbyists that come in our store all the time and they do teach me (and others) things whether it be bedding, diet, temps, etc. for our animals. i'm no pro when it comes to animals or reptiles but i do know a fair bit but i always take advice from more knowledgeable people, especially when i know that their information is 100% guaranteed.

and i wish i had the power to do so (send out a note nationwide) but unfortunately i can't. i'm no store manager or anything, just a basic manager who works for, not a PERFECT company (but far better than others), who likes animals and has bills to pay. i can try to talk to my district manager next time i see him to see if he can do anythings as far as checking other stores or talking to corporate just to see if other stores are atleast somewhat knowledgeable on their animals, especially animals like the red foot, as we havnt been carrying red foots long and i know for a fact that some people dont realize the difference between a red foot and a russian in the Petsmart company. it was only once but i did have to give one associate a write up for not taking care of the red foot accordingly, nothing major but still. i do what i can at the level i'm at in the company. :( and i'm sorry for you guys that see the flaws from petsmart but i know for a Fact that other companies are much worse :(

Status
Not open for further replies.