Phoenix herpetology society

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Kasidee, my 12 yr old and I visited the center yesterday. This is was so distressing to us.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407674042.486692.jpg
It was just one of multiple pens.
Our thought was, oh my gosh how do we help find good homes for these amazing animals?.... Well, they say they want you to "adopt", however when I inquired it was more like "sell". I asked about a size similar to our Delilah, about a 60 lb female. The response I got was it would cost me around $250-$300 for that size of one but there aren't any females available, however, get online and fill out an adoption form. We were so confused. I was under the impression that they were looking to find good homes for these poor guys? But it didn't feel that way by the end of the tour. There were literally hundreds of Sulcatas. They had two tubs of hatchlings at the end of the tour as well. What are they promoting?

Then when we were getting ready to leave I looked up at Kasidee, she had been over taking photos of the DT enclosure, and her little mouth was turned upside down. She took my hand and walked me over to the pen where it appeared one of them had died recently but long enough to look really bad. As she was fighting tears I tried to think of any reason why they might have missed it to console her.

By the time we were in the truck she was pretty upset. She wanted to know why they let a red eared slider swim in their pool? Why they put so many Sulcatas together and not want to find them homes? Why there were Galapagos torts in a small enclosure full of sand? Why they have so many animals in what seemed to be to in too "small of enclosures"? Why didn't it feel like they actually were looking out for their animals? I was equally as confused as my little one. If anyone can help us understand maybe the other side of this? Maybe we just are not seeing it correctly? It sure would help me put kasidees mind at ease. Or at least it would help me give her some answers either way.

Appreciate your help :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Wee just discussed this place on another thread... Oh what was it called.... By AZTorts I think? Called? So many Sulcata get along??..or something. If I find it, I'll tag you in it..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've discussed this place many times here. Things aren't always what they seem.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
As was said we've discussed this a few times here.

It's definitely not a "rescue" for these tortoieses, it is a full blown breeding operation. At least, with the sulcatas. The adults are intentionally bred and the babies are usually shipped off somewhere for $. It's quite disgusting. When I was there a few years ago they had two pens that probably had 300 + total adults. I can't imagine what it is like there now.