Picking up Gopher tort within the week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
so my IDNR (Illinois department of natural resources) permit FINALLY came in the mail !!!! WOOO HOOOO :)

Today I went to the Tractor Supply Store and picked up a 100 gallon Rubbermaid Stock tank and then went to home depot and picked up 400 lbs of top soil and 5 large bags of sand. I am setting the cage up outside in my parents yard and i will have at least 12 inches of substrate so the little guy can tunnel !!

My brother is going to weld me a lid to keep out animals and hopefully this little guy can spend the rest of the summer and early fall (God willing) outside in the sun where he should be !!!

As you can tell i am SOOOOOO EXCITED to set up his tank and bring him home :)

Anyways when i get home from work i will post some pics of the progress !

~~~Anyone have any ideas for tort safe bushes or plants that i can put in the cage outside, prefferably one that grows in Florida ?? ~~~~

THANKS A MILLION EVERYONE :tort:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Congrats. They are a wonderful species. Very fun to watch. They like thick leaved brush, im not sure what the species is but they like to hide under the brush, Typically the bigger ones will do the tunnels, not sure what size your getting, but when I had sub adult they didnt really seem to dig tunnels like the adults did. Be wary about handling them they really are a timid species, and hissing is totally normal with these guys. I would wait till someone from florida can tell you which native broad leaf species of scrub are down there. These guys are very active during early morning and late afternoon, I had best results with placing food in the enclosure at night and was devoured by early morning. Stick with dark leafy greens, pothos, endive, and st.augustine grass and no fruit. Good luck they are a fun species.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Ok so as promised here are my pics ... of course i will add more as i get them :)
I started with a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank
IMAG1260.jpg

And added A LOT of dirt/sand and put my turtle Kala in to check the height out
IMAG1261.jpg

IMAG1262.jpg

Then I built a frame for the screen top and a shade box/ access panel for the water bowl
IMAG1263.jpg

Then i got it painted so it looks nicer and protects it outside
IMAG1269.jpg

Then i added the screen to keep animals out
IMAG1270.jpg

And FINALLY I added the door :) YAY perfect fit !!
IMAG1272.jpg

IMAG1271.jpg

And the moment you have all been waiting for ...:::::DRUM ROLL::::.... , Flipper, the baby gopher tortoise checking out his new house
IMAG1267.jpg

IMAG1266.jpg

IMAG1268.jpg

And walking around the yard a bit ...
IMAG1264.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Why only temporary?

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
dmmj said:
Why only temporary?

I work at a wildlife center and we had an adult gopher tort and when we got the baby in, we had nowhere to put him, and the adult hates him so they cant go together! Anyways I have a 1 year permit to keep him because he was getting eye infections and getting bullied.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
ascott said:
Absolutely beautiful.....what is the long term plan for him then?

Well hopefully while I have him, we will find somewhere for him to permanently live at the center. I think my boss tried to put in a good word for me with the DNR to keep him forever , but we don't know what will happen. Im happy to be able to let him live alone outside in the sun at my house and eat our home grown greens and veggies :) he's on a vacation at the tort spa !!!

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
As an update ... today the baby started to DIG !!! it makes me so happy to see him/her digging tunnels like they do in the wild. The tunnel is about a foot in length :)
IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Im trying to upload a video, but it is not cooperating ! Ill post it when i figure it out :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
CJSTorts said:
Thats wonderful! Looks very happy!

THANKS ! i was so happy when i saw his tunnel that i could cry :) i just need to make sure it cannot cave in on him ... he probably looks happy because he is all messy and dirty like they like to be !!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it does cave in a bit, he is big enough to dig himself out....:D I do not know what the rain situation is like where you live at...however, is your set up able to drain water in the event you have a down pour?

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
ascott said:
If it does cave in a bit, he is big enough to dig himself out....:D I do not know what the rain situation is like where you live at...however, is your set up able to drain water in the event you have a down pour?

I figured he would dig out if necessary. And yes there is a drain on the tub and we have had some bad storms , but with no standing water in the tub :)

Here is the video I promised. I tried to edit it to show the kids at the wildlife center, so i took a 10 min video and made it into 2. Sorry for the cruddy editing (it was my first video ever) and as a warning, there is a dog barking in the background for a minute, so put the volume down :)

Status
Not open for further replies.