Pickles and Crusher

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
0AEC3CF1-867B-46C2-90A2-7D08AC329A3D.jpeg
when Toretto was this age he looked very female by his plastron and gulars but alas... he changed before he turned three and flashed his goods..
When I built the adjoining yard to Toretto, I put Pickles there and moved Crusher into the totally separate yard on the other side of the house. Due to the size, I was speculating that Crusher would likely be female and I didn’t want “her” anywhere near the males.. but I took this comparison today and I think I may be wrong! I know they will change but what you can’t see in this picture is Pickles tail... it’s VERY short.. I don’t think that can change!!! I guess time will tell but they are really going to be unhappy with me if I move them again. They’ve just now got adjusted!!!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
View attachment 292212
when Toretto was this age he looked very female by his plastron and gulars but alas... he changed before he turned three and flashed his goods..
When I built the adjoining yard to Toretto, I put Pickles there and moved Crusher into the totally separate yard on the other side of the house. Due to the size, I was speculating that Crusher would likely be female and I didn’t want “her” anywhere near the males.. but I took this comparison today and I think I may be wrong! I know they will change but what you can’t see in this picture is Pickles tail... it’s VERY short.. I don’t think that can change!!! I guess time will tell but they are really going to be unhappy with me if I move them again. They’ve just now got adjusted!!!
Pickles are Crusher are the same age. Right?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Lovely to see - very cute . Thanks for sharing at these hard times. I have 3 Russian hatchings and it is lovely to monitor and watch growth and reach the 100g onwards.....

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I was worried that Crusher was so much smaller but they have never been together since the first week i brought them home and had twin enclosures..... so I guess it was just meant to be. Also, when I look back at Torettos growth, he was MUCH smaller at that age!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
ALL BOYS!
I was washing the Poop off of little Crusher and he revealed himself. Definitely a male.. I then remembered that Toretto’s first exposure was in the tub so it occurred to me that the spray of really warm water might be encouraging for them to “lower the draw bridge” .. I decided that Pickles needed a bath too. I held him with his parts directly under the very warm running water and sure enough... OUT POPPED THE GOODS!
I’ve got no females!!!! HALLELUJAH

Attachments

• E4F4A64E-EC95-4B93-AC04-A0CD043AC0AF.jpeg
    E4F4A64E-EC95-4B93-AC04-A0CD043AC0AF.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 8

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Also, my vet scales are set to arrive today so It should be easier for me to do weigh-ins again. It’s gotten difficult for Toretto to balance on the can on the people scales.. pickles last checked in at 16lbs and crusher at 8... that’s been a couple weeks ago.

Bee62

Germany
Congrats to your boys !:):tort::tort::<3:
I think I have only girls. 4 years old but i have never seen any "strange things" in their butts..... LOL !:cool:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Congrats to your boys !:):tort::tort::<3:
I think I have only girls. 4 years old but i have never seen any "strange things" in their butts..... LOL !:cool:

I wouldn’t mind having ALL girls and 1 big yard but did not want to have the worry of an escape and end up with babies if had both sexes..

not an issue now!!!!

You should try the running water over the identifying parts... it’s a sure way to bring things out if they’re old enough ???

Bee62

Germany
I wouldn’t mind having ALL girls and 1 big yard but did not want to have the worry of an escape and end up with babies if had both sexes..

not an issue now!!!!

You should try the running water over the identifying parts... it’s a sure way to bring things out if they’re old enough ???
I wouldn`t mind shelled babies.:D Maybe I`ll try the running water experience soon. Let`s see what my torts will show or not. I always laugh when I read here on the forum tort mommies seeing a tort penis for the first time and the comment to this "foreign" thing. I saw my first tort penis when I was a child. I have had two Hermann tortoises. a boy and a girl....:cool:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I wouldn`t mind shelled babies.:D Maybe I`ll try the running water experience soon. Let`s see what my torts will show or not. I always laugh when I read here on the forum tort mommies seeing a tort penis for the first time and the comment to this "foreign" thing. I saw my first tort penis when I was a child. I have had two Hermann tortoises. a boy and a girl....:cool:
Toretto broke me in on the “penis sighting”... but I think he was 3yrs old by then.. Pickles and crusher are only 2 ( in April) so I was a bit surprised to see the flash... but then to verify the “warm running water” theory, well that was just awesome!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Toretto broke me in on the “penis sighting”... but I think he was 3yrs old by then.. Pickles and crusher are only 2 ( in April) so I was a bit surprised to see the flash... but then to verify the “warm running water” theory, well that was just awesome!
Ellie May Jun of 2020 was your last post here? How is the crew doing?