Shell Saver Experiment

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I think I’m going to close the shell saver experiment. Pickles is growing much smoother and I don’t feel like I’m being fair. Both torts are in the exact same conditions but to me the difference is already proven.

Attachments

• IMG_8448.jpg
    IMG_8448.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8446.jpg
    IMG_8446.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 101

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I think I’m going to close the shell saver experiment. Pickles is growing much smoother and I don’t feel like I’m being fair. Both torts are in the exact same conditions but to me the difference is already proven.
So does that mean you are going to start putting the shell saver on both of them now.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
They are both adorable btw.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
They are both adorable btw.

Thanks!!! And yes I am.. I just can’t stand thinking I could do better by something and not doing it.. Pickles’ shell is perfectly smooth from the growth lines into the scutes but crusher’s scutes are slightly elevated from his growth lines.. it’s the whole scute though .... but still :). I think I’ve seen all I need to.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
We’ve enjoyed following your experiment. You do what is best for your cuties.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

Nice little experiment EllieMay. I'd love to see a comparison test of the Shell Saver product vs. plain ol' extra virgin coconut oil (which I believe is a main ingredient in Shell Saver). Unfortunately, I don't have two similar torts to experiment on. :(

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Nice little experiment EllieMay. I'd love to see a comparison test of the Shell Saver product vs. plain ol' extra virgin coconut oil (which I believe is a main ingredient in Shell Saver). Unfortunately, I don't have two similar torts to experiment on. :(

Which way do you think it would go?? I’m not opposed to trying it but I definitely believe that a moisturizer is key for them.. i was actually wondering about Vitamin E oil myself....

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Which way do you think it would go?? I’m not opposed to trying it but I definitely believe that a moisturizer is key for them.. i was actually wondering about Vitamin E oil myself....

Not really sure. Ounce for ounce, purchasing a tub of the coconut oil would be the better value IMHO. I was just curious if there was any added health benefit to using the Shell Saver. I read the product reviews, some good / some bad. Curious to see for myself. I just cannot reproduce the control conditions that you were lucky enough to have.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Well.... maybe I’ll order some and give it a try.. I don’t mind saving money. Can you screen shot me what you would use ?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
This is what I got from my local pharmacy. I believe it was $13 or $14..

20180828_055231[1].jpg 20180828_055736[1].jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
So here we go!! If my source was honest, these babies are 5 months old / 20 wks today.. they were started dry and I got them at (about)2-1/2 months old. They seem very healthy and are progressing nicely even if a little small for their age.

Attachments

• IMG_8555.jpg
    IMG_8555.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8559.jpg
    IMG_8559.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75