Pics of my Franklin....thinking he may have pyramid shell??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
I'm concerned about my sulcata, I think he may be developing pyramid shell?? Any suggestions, please???!

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 320

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't see any signs of pyramiding yet. You see those light-colored spots on his carapace? Well, as the new growth fills in between those light-colored spots, if he's pyramiding, the light-colored spots will be raised up above the new growth, not smooth like Franklin is.

Yvonne

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I don't see any signs of pyramiding yet. You see those light-colored spots on his carapace? Well, as the new growth fills in between those light-colored spots, if he's pyramiding, the light-colored spots will be raised up above the new growth, not smooth like Franklin is.

Yvonne

Well, that's good to hear.. now why is his shell looking lopsided? I've always wondered, b/c i see other torts and none that I've seen have a shell like his. So signs of pyramiding are the carapace turning light-colored, just a bit confussed...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you misunderstood. I'm just referring to "light-colored" so you know what area of the carapace I'm talking about. He already has the light-colored spots, and if you see that they are starting to rise up above the space between them, then THAT'S pyramiding. But his carapace is all smooth with no raised spots.

Some tortoise babies are pretty scrunched up inside their egg and when they hatch out they look lop-sided for a few months. How old is Franklin?

Yvonne

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
Now I understand...this is soo new to me, I'm worst than a first time mom..LOL
Franklin is 3 months this wk.
Thanks;)

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
Thanks, i checked it out, started out as a really sad story but ended in a happy ending!! What's the earliest age they can develop pyramiding? I have the temp at no higher than 92, low 70's in cooler area and humidity at 44-50 are these OK??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Without the right combination of care, pyramiding can start from the moment he starts to grow. Diet, humidity and plenty of exercise are three of the main ingredients to a healthy tortoise.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
A tort can develop pyramiding at any age. The younger years are the most important as the shell is growing. Someone else can advise you exactly on temp/humidity, but humidity has been proven to be key in preventing pyramiding. Humidity sounds about right to me. Is that at the substrate level? What kind of substrate do you have? If it holds in a little moisture that is great.

Cute tort! Hope he grows out of the lopsidedness. :)

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Without the right combination of care, pyramiding can start from the moment he starts to grow. Diet, humidity and plenty of exercise are three of the main ingredients to a healthy tortoise.

Yvonne

I know these 3 key things are very important. Also notice that when I soak him, that after He'll go potty but comes out like bird poop white & creamy, is that a bad sign or normal?? During the day he will also poop normal (solid one) but i've already witness this about 4 times, since I've had him.

tortoisenerd said:
A tort can develop pyramiding at any age. The younger years are the most important as the shell is growing. Someone else can advise you exactly on temp/humidity, but humidity has been proven to be key in preventing pyramiding. Humidity sounds about right to me. Is that at the substrate level? What kind of substrate do you have? If it holds in a little moisture that is great.

Cute tort! Hope he grows out of the lopsidedness. :)

Yes , thats at the substrate level and I have him in eco earth mixed w/ play sand 50/50, that's what everyone recommended and I like it. It does hold moisture pretty good but about once a wk just add some water. I have the eco earth spread in the whole tank. Thanks, I think he's a doll & agree w/ the lopsidedness just a bit different ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The white, creamy substance is called "urates." We've talked a lot about urates here on the forum. You can do a "search" and get more information on them.

Yvonne

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My tortoise's shell is like that too, the vendor who sold it to me said that their shells are sometimes lopsided because they haven't fully opened up yet.

Mysulcata Franklin

5 Year Member
dcoolguy68 said:
My tortoise's shell is like that too, the vendor who sold it to me said that their shells are sometimes lopsided because they haven't fully opened up yet.

Oh, ok then I shouldn't too much. He's 3 months old, how old is your lil guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.