pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
i saw someone else do this in another thread. if you could take pictures of yourself next to your sully's for size comparison, it would be really helpful! thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's Dudley next to a shovel for size comparison. Last time I weighed him (2 years ago) he was 98lbs.

Dudley.jpg

And here he is again next to my sister, Maggie:

DudleyandMaggie.jpg

Yvonne

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
how old are they? still growing or full grown?? thanks for the pics! very cute

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's 19 years old this year. I'm going to try really hard this year to get someone to help me take him and the two Aldabs to Petsmart to weight them on their dog scale.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'd volunteer if I lived closer--that sounds like an interesting task Yvonne!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
emysemys said:
Here's Dudley next to a shovel for size comparison. Last time I weighed him (2 years ago) he was 98lbs.

Dudley.jpg

And here he is again next to my sister, Maggie:

DudleyandMaggie.jpg

Yvonne

It looks like he has a lot of new growth between his scutes...so I would say still growing :D. But I could be mistaken!

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Here is one of mine taking a ride on our gopher tort.

P1010224.jpg

P1010225.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
What beautiful smooth shells on both of them!

what are their names?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
sweet, Your gopher tortoise looks healthy, He looks like he is old too, gotta love the oldies, lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thor is a great-looking tortoise! And he looks pretty big. Do you have any idea his age?

Yvonne

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No idea on his age, actually Friends parents found him wondering down the street about a year ago and we have had him since. He is approx 20 lbs or so.

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Wow emysemys your Sulcata is huge. I actually went last week to pick up a hatchling from a private breeder in L.A. and he had a gigantic Sulcata. It was the largest I've seen in person. I couldn't believe the circumference of this guy. Lol... I'm stoked to see my little guys grow to become gentle giants. Thanks for all the advice. How many Sulcata's do you currently own btw? I know you're always giving away some and adopting others.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jtpaintball5 said:
How many Sulcata's do you currently own btw? I know you're always giving away some and adopting others.

I only have the one Sulcata, Dudley, in my private collection. However I do get quite a few sulcatas every year. I had an email just yesterday from a woman in Coarsegold who wants to bring me her 4 year old sulcata, however, she never followed up. So I don't have that one yet. I keep them for about 2 weeks to make sure they are eating and are healthy, then I adopt them out. But my adopters are local, because I like to do a yard inspection and get a feel for the people who adopt tortoises...to be sure the tortoise is going to a home where they had a good idea of the type of care the animal requires.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Kev, it's actually a Desert tortoise and not a Gopher tortoise. It is though legal to own a Gopher tortoise as long as your not in a state that they are native to. Gopher tortoises and Texas tortoises are only state listed, so both are legal to own in most states they aren't native to. The Desert and Bolson's tortoises aren't legal to own without permits as they are both listed on our Endangered Species list.

Danny

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
egyptiandan said:
Kev, it's actually a Desert tortoise and not a Gopher tortoise. It is though legal to own a Gopher tortoise as long as your not in a state that they are native to. Gopher tortoises and Texas tortoises are only state listed, so both are legal to own in most states they aren't native to. The Desert and Bolson's tortoises aren't legal to own without permits as they are both listed on our Endangered Species list.

Danny

I know that it is illegal here in Florida. Your not even allowed to touch one in the wild. BIG fines, very bad!!!

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:[/size]

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Yep thats exactly why i said its a Gopher, as im in cali they are legal to own here.

Status
Not open for further replies.