Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
bsr8129 said:
Yep thats exactly why i said its a Gopher, as im in cali they are legal to own here.

You're missing the point. The "gopher" tortoise is a native Florida tortoise. Thor isn't a "gopher" tortoise. He's a native California tortoise and we call them "desert" tortoises. He IS in the Gopherus family, but not called "gopher."

Yvonne

S

scienceguy

Can I ask how you post a pic? I am new and it keeps saying the file is too big even though I have my camera set at the lowest pixel (3). What am I doing wrong?

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
convert the pic to a .jpg, something compressed
you can use something like photobucket to store photos.
you can add a photo from the web to the form like this, but replace the squiggly brackets with square brackets.

{img}Image URL{/img}

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
scienceguy said:
Can I ask how you post a pic? I am new and it keeps saying the file is too big even though I have my camera set at the lowest pixel (3). What am I doing wrong?

If you'd like to send me the picture I'll post it for you:

emysemys @ pacbell .net

When you type in my address, leave out the spaces

Yvonne

I posted Scott's picture of Squirt, the sulcata, in Sulcata Central.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-6057.html

Reason I didn't post it on this thread was because the original thought was to have pictures of tortoises next to their human for a size comparison.

Yvonne

Barry

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Danny,
A little off topic, but what is that scientific names of what you can and cannot own. It seems as though the common names are being mixed up here.
Barry

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
bsr8129 said:
Yep thats exactly why i said its a Gopher, as im in cali they are legal to own here.

You're missing the point. The "gopher" tortoise is a native Florida tortoise. Thor isn't a "gopher" tortoise. He's a native California tortoise and we call them "desert" tortoises. He IS in the Gopherus family, but not called "gopher."

Yvonne

I think you missed my point it is illegal to own a desert tortoises here in cali, hence I said he was a gopher because they are legal to own here.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
So you are lying about his species, so you can keep him? that doesn't seem right to me...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
bsr8129 said:
I think you missed my point it is illegal to own a desert tortoises here in cali, hence I said he was a gopher because they are legal to own here.

No its not. I have three legal desert tortoises in my collection and I adopt out the rescues to Californians all the time. It IS illegal to take them from the wild, but it is NOT illegal to have them in your possession. You just need to fill out a form and apply for a permit. If you will send me your address in a private message, I will send you an application. No big deal. No one is going to come to your house and check out your animals. You just fill out the form, telling where you got the tortoise (given to me by a neighbor...or adopted from turtle club) are both good answers, send it in and in 6 weeks or so they'll send you back a little sticker to attach to the bottom of his carapace. All legal...and easy!! On another note, just for your edification: ALL of the Gopnerus species of tortoises, including the Florida gopher tortoise, HAVE to be licensed here in California. So even if your old man was a gopher tortoise, he would be illegal without a permit sticker.

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I believe all american tortoises which are in the Gopherus family owned in California will need a permit, Like said above its legal to own them with a permit, its illegal to take them out of the wild, or put them back into the wild.

Sunrise

5 Year Member
My sulki..probably around 4-5 years old
DSC00772.JPG

DSC01397.JPG

5cm 15scutes, 6cm 15scutes, 10.5cm, 33cm
DSC01399.JPG

M

Maggie Cummings

vanessammm said:
Here I am with my little baby Bowser. He is roughly 1 y.o.
2njyjyp.jpg

Don't mind my funny face. I'm just a dork.

Cute haircut!

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Here is my three month old, his name is Henry. Lounging on a chair by the pool getting some sun.

3-01-9-4.jpg

3-1-09-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.