Piece of Figuero's shell fell off, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Brown

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Im am not sure what to do, I was rinsing my Sulcata like I do about once a week and the top dead center piece of his shell came off.

What would you do? Should I just clean and fiberglass the original piece back on or does this require a vet?

We moved to Las Vegas from Southern California and it has been hard on Figuero ever since. He has all you can eat alfalfa this time of year and a water feature that he sometimes plays in but usually is just huddled under the bench in the shade. I have not been giving him any vitamins, etc. Just some pieces of fruit every now and then. Obviously after reading some more on this website I have to make some changes.

100_2518.jpg

Pictures:
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn383/ericwilliambrown/100_2518.jpg
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn383/ericwilliambrown/100_2520-1.jpg
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn383/ericwilliambrown/100_2519.jpg

Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise/experience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Figuero might have (at one time in his past) been too close to the light and that part of his shell was burned and damaged.

Don't fiberglass it back. Just keep it clean and make sure the surrounding scutes are not suffering too.

It's sort of like you losing a fingernail, with the exception that he is showing bone underneath, and the shell will not grow back like a fingernail will. I doubt he's in any pain. Just keep him clean and dry. It might be a good idea to take him to a vet so they can see what's going on with Figuero's shell. This is NOT something that happens normally to tortoises. There has to have been an underlying cause.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to address the alfalfa issue. Alfalfa is very rich and high in vegetable protein. We've always been told to feed our tortoises a low protein diet. I know that if I feed my horses too much alfalfa hay, their urine turns very dark and tinged with red. So I'm assuming that too much alfalfa is also hard on the kidneys.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Eric sorry you and your tort are experiencing this, but really fascinating seeing what has happened with his shell. Not something I have ever gotten to see before. Sounds wrong to say thanks for having this problem, but that's sorta what I am feeling.:( Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Hope it is indeed nothing serious.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Eric, I too fee like Jacqui, I have never seen this before. but if it is an underlying problem that may be why he has not been himself. I don't know how long its been since your move which can cause stress and Sullys are territorial but I think I might look to a vet just to make sure everyting is OK with him. Good luck and please keep us posted

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
he has the same ridges on his shell as percy = so i too am thankful fo ryou sharing and PLEASE let us know what caused this

we can all learn and some torts can be saved

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings Eric ~

I would wonder if he is not in need of a more varied diet; alfalfa, water and an occasional piece of fruit does not seem like it would be very beneficial for his overall health..?

And also, I would wonder what kind of enclosure you have him in now; as to the size ratio of the tortie compared to the enclosure.. perhaps that has added to the stress levels..?

I am just throwing out ideas, as I have never owned a sulcata. If it were me, I would find a reptile vet in my area and take him in; not just to check on what to do {if anything} about his shell, but for an overall health check up..

Dunno if my posting helped any, but I do wish you the bestest for you and Figuero!
Purpod

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am pretty sure this happens from rapid growth. They grow so fast that gaps form in between scutes causing them to be loose

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
You know, one more thing I'd like to add is that I actually 'scrub' King Torties shell when he is getting a bath {'Scrub' with a tooth brush that is just for him} & then afterwards, I use a shell conditioner called Vitashell ~ it helps maintain the natural flexibility & re-establishes specialized proteins & oils to keep the shell healthy. It comes in a small container that is full of a thick 'cream' which I rub into each scute by finner tip & then I again use his toothbrush to make sure the creases have the conditioner too.

I dunno if anyone else uses such a product, but King Tortie enjoys the heck out of his personalized massage!

Again, bestest wishes,
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jasso2, Placing the lost scute on with glue of any kind does not stop the underlying problem and can create pockets that bacteria and fungus can get in and take over.

Purpod (here are the Vitashell Ingredients: Purified Softened Water, Sunflower Oil, Emulsifying Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, Glycerin, Lanolin, Cottonseed Oil, Steramidopropyl, Dimethylamine Lactate, Protein Conditioners, Diazolidnyl Urea, Rosemary Oil, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, FD&C Yellow #6.) Please be careful using anything with oils or wax in it on your tort. These can stop up pores. Wax and oils can also help collect dirt and unlike us putting it on our nails the torts have a much bigger surface of their bodies to cover. I just use water and a soft brush on mine, and they seem to like the soft brushing also.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Thanx for the note, Robyn ~ Perhaps 'cuz I only use the vitashell sparingly that I have never had any problems..? But I am curious, why would a company make a product for an animal that could have possible harmful effects? Doesn't make much sense, altho much in the world today does not make much sense to me ~

Anyways, thanx for the caution; I appreciate your care ~
Purpod

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
purpod said:
But I am curious, why would a company make a product for an animal that could have possible harmful effects? Doesn't make much sense, altho much in the world today does not make much sense to me ~

There are all kinds of products for sale in this wonderful world that have no redeeming qualities. Have you never seen an infomercial and absolutely had to have the product only to find out it doesn't work even an eighth as well as they say it does? Money Money Money!!! The name of the game.

Yvonne

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have actually heard that VitaShell puts a wax coating on the tortoises shell that actually traps in heat and causes the torotise to be warmer on hot days. Something to consider. I agree, it does make the shell look beautiful, however, I quite using it.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Yes, money is the name of most every game now-a-days.. rather sad.. You know, I really am curious about the stuff now & may write to the company to ask a few questions ~

And how is Figuero doing, Eric? Hopefully none of his other scutes are feeling/looking loose.. Does he still try to rub against the furniture and such? Keep us posted ~

Purpod

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
That is so scary! I hope that everything goes alright for him. Thank you for sharing. It helps me so that I can keep an eye out for that, I want to try to be prepared for anything that could happen.

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.