Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Rex belly is looking a little pink? He’s a 7 month old eastern hermanns

79C1730C-F95F-48B9-89C6-34A368A4DA87.jpeg79C1730C-F95F-48B9-89C6-34A368A4DA87.jpeg

Domm

PA
Has he been feeling well lately? Eating well, active and energetic?

He has been eating great and energetic, however he has changed his habits a little. He’s on a strict lights on and off/soak/eat schedule. He usually comes out of his hose early am when the light comes on then I soak him and he eats. Lately he has been coming out three hours later than usual, not going to be when he normally does, its 9pm now and he’s running around doing laps in his enclosure. I do live in the northeast and winter is coming, not sure if he senses that?

I read horror stories on here about a blood condition when underneath turns pink so I am freaking out........

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You are referring to septicemia, and that is why I asked if he feels well.

A tortoise that is septic is extremely sick from an infection somewhere in his body. He would most certainly not be eating and active.

So the next usual cause is a good one! It is lots of blood flow to an area that is rapidly growing. Active growth requires nutrients, and blood carries them to a location that needs them. I think usually the pink is along the growth lines. But maybe since his coloring is so light we're seeing more.

I'm not sure, so see what Chris has to say. I'm curious as well!

@Tom what do you think?

Domm

PA
Well naturally we think the worst when something is off LOL. I’m glad you brought that up though, he is in good spirits and energy so you’re probably right if it were an infection he wouldn’t be himself. He has grown so much just this month, he’s doubled in size just since I got him as a hatchling.... Maybe he’s growing too fast....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like a normal plastron to me.

They do somehow know when winter s coming, even when indoors and kept warm and well lit.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Looks normal to me and pink like that is often a sign of new growth. If it isn’t soft or fowl smelling or when you push on the plastron you see fluid moving under the scutes, the animal is most likely fine.

Domm

PA
Looks normal to me and pink like that is often a sign of new growth. If it isn’t soft or fowl smelling or when you push on the plastron you see fluid moving under the scutes, the animal is most likely fine.

This is great news thank you so much for your response!

Domm

PA
Looks like a normal plastron to me.

They do somehow know when winter s coming, even when indoors and kept warm and well lit.

Thanks Tom! I have his winter set up in the works, I’m getting the Che’s and made a lid out of tinfoil . The tube UVB light isn’t fitting so I might get one of those all in one heat/uva/uvb lights...Any luck with those in the past on your torts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom! I have his winter set up in the works, I’m getting the Che’s and made a lid out of tinfoil . The tube UVB light isn’t fitting so I might get one of those all in one heat/uva/uvb lights...Any luck with those in the past on your torts?
MVBs (the all-in-one bulb) should not be used over tortoises for several reasons.

Give this a read:

pcrealty

Wynnewood

Attachments

• male vs female tortoises.jpg
    male vs female tortoises.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Eastern Hermann Bottom View.jpg
    Eastern Hermann Bottom View.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Eastern Hermann Top view.jpg
    Eastern Hermann Top view.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 24

Domm

PA
It looks like a female, refer to the diagram

Wow that looks just like what Rex has! Maybe it is, its been almost a week and it still looks pink nothing dark red or worrisome.

Also he/she is 8 months old? Rex doubled in size quickly and I was worried he was getting too big too fast. How rapidly did your tort grow?