Plant chemicals?

Mavsonfire

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I bought a hibiscus plant from Walmart and I saw that plants can have a pesticide and be harmful toward my tortoise. How long would I have to wait before feeding it to him? Do I change out the soil?

Zoeclare

Uk
I tend to take the plant out the pot and rinse as much soil from the roots as possible then repot in homemade compost, then wait a year before using. I've got three hibiscus full of flowers that I can't use yet!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok, I’m living on the risky side i guess, but, i too bought some nice hardy hibiscus at our local Home Depot. I let it bloom out once and discarded those first flowers. However, since then we have had tons of rain and i have additionally watered/saturated the soil religiously. Ive been feeding these new flowers without issue for a good month.

I’m sure any quick release ferts used on these plants to encourage blooming is all gone. I also add in a bit of diluted MiracleGro to encourage healthy plant growth.

I also feed our Sully tons of other blooms, grape leaves, rose of sharon blossoms n greens, grasses, dandelions etc. a grand mix of “stuff“.