plant I.D. please

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have stone age technology. A work computer and a smart phone with a not so smart operator.
I've googled "purple flower trees", etc and looked at zillions of photos and none so far are a match.
Thanks, Ken.

Stone age technology works for me. If all else fails one of the best ways to identify a flowering plant or tree is to visit a local nursery especially around bloom time. Flowering plants are usually being offered at bloom time because they have piqued public interest and demand is high. And the plants are typically tagged for identification.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Or take a small branch of said tree to said garden center. And ask someone who may know. Ask for the Latin as well as English name.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco

It's Tabebuia heterophylla, the Pink Trumpet Tree.

I agree. Not a dangerously toxic plant.

Incidentally, there are several types of Rhododendron that will live in the sub-tropics, including Vireyas.

Moderators: can you move this thread to Plant ID?

M

Maggie Cummings

I still think it looks like a rhoadie - do the flowers grow in clusters? There are several types, they span literally from the arctic to the tropics and come in a lot of shapes, colors and configurations.

RhododendronNoyoDream4.jpg

rhododendron_george%27s_delight.jpg
I still think it looks like a rhoadie - do the flowers grow in clusters? There are several types, they span literally from the arctic to the tropics and come in a lot of shapes, colors and configurations.

RhododendronNoyoDream4.jpg

rhododendron_george%27s_delight.jpg
TXMk509uvOobkmOhDDSA4caRiEFslqsEjbKkvXDS3Nw=s128-p-no
One of my Rhoadies....

M

Maggie Cummings

Well it being deciduous and not a broad leaf evergreen rules out the rhododendron family completely. I know of none that shed all their leaves in the fall.
I've never seen mallow as anything other than an annual, and certainly I've never seen one more than 3'tall let alone as a 20' tree.
What makes you the expert? My mallow is about 14 feet tall so far....My Rose of Sharon are close to 20ft...my mallow comes back every year....so there!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What makes you the expert? My mallow is about 14 feet tall so far....My Rose of Sharon are close to 20ft...my mallow comes back every year....so there!
Easy rocket. I've seen Rose of Sharon in town as wonderful shade tress. But they all have lobed leaves not the single edge. As for your mallow, is it the same plant growing of the same trunk? My mallow self seeds itself with me doing nothing but watching it grow but it's from seed each year.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Well it being deciduous and not a broad leaf evergreen rules out the rhododendron family completely. I know of none that shed all their leaves in the fall.
I've never seen mallow as anything other than an annual, and certainly I've never seen one more than 3'tall let alone as a 20' tree.

Deciduous members of the genus Rhododendron are found in North America and Asia, and while they are called "azaleas", they are Rhododendrons. Many other members of the family are deciduous as well.

Likewise, many mallows are perennials that reach tree heights. 15-footers are common here.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
It looks like it may be Tabebuia (Pink Trumpet). I used to live in South-East Florida and there were tons of those. "Trumpets" have coarse bark and irregular shape to their trunk and large limbs. I can't really tell for sure by the pictures posted