Plastic totes/tubs

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Have you though about combining two big plastic totes together with a tunnel between them? I have seen that done a few times here and you can either makeshift the lids or use some ply wood to make tops to hold light fixtures and keep humidity in. :>

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Have you though about combining two big plastic totes together with a tunnel between them? I have seen that done a few times here and you can either makeshift the lids or use some ply wood to make tops to hold light fixtures and keep humidity in. :>
I'll have to surf the forums to find examples, because I have thought about it but then thought about sharp plastic edges and figured no one did it, but if people here do I guess that's not a big problem to fix. I'll have to look tomorrow and see what I can do. And keeping humidity is a huge plus! I never had a problem until I put in soil instead of mulch (we have a safe yard so I just dug it up) and all of a sudden its dry as heck and i'm constantly having to add water, I plan to get coco-coir to add in but figure i'll wait till I know what I'm doing with my tank before anything.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Here is an example of two connected. I would add a light (regular) to the dark side and cut down the lid for the bridge to prevent escapes, but it is a nice idea.
enclosure.jpg

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
My 20 gal tank (hatchling) is 2.5 feet long and 12" wide. I believe the 55 gal totes are closer to 42" x 21" wide.
That is a decent increase.
example-
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-54-gal-Roughneck-Hi-Top-Tote-FG3A05H2MICBL/100673965
Yeah I've been looking at the wrong totes then haha I've been looking at the deeper smaller ones at walmart and stuff, this is good. It wouldn't be a permanent solution, just a few years, but you'd say this is definitely better for my Russian than the 20 gal, even though its not ideal it'll be good? He does get out a lot in the summer, its the winter he gets aggravated and I try to let him roam our carpet now and then since its warm enough but its boring for him and not "tortoise safe" so he gets a very close eye ... he des not like me shadowing him lol.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'll have to surf the forums to find examples, because I have thought about it but then thought about sharp plastic edges and figured no one did it, but if people here do I guess that's not a big problem to fix. I'll have to look tomorrow and see what I can do. And keeping humidity is a huge plus! I never had a problem until I put in soil instead of mulch (we have a safe yard so I just dug it up) and all of a sudden its dry as heck and i'm constantly having to add water, I plan to get coco-coir to add in but figure i'll wait till I know what I'm doing with my tank before anything.
I've been wanting to connect a couple for my box turtle. I haven't done it yet. I was thinking of maybe using a bucket (like those kind you find on the endcaps at Lowes) and cutting out the closed end to use that as a tunnel. I don't know if I'm explaining it well enough.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Everyone always says they are 21 wide by 42 long. That is the measurement at the very top where the animal does not live. The space the animal utilizes is about the equivalent of a 40 gallon breeder aquarium.
Well even if that's the case its still an upgrade from my 20L ... they just happen to look smaller... then again I guess they don't live at the very bottom where I've been looking either

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I've been wanting to connect a couple for my box turtle. I haven't done it yet. I was thinking of maybe using a bucket (like those kind you find on the endcaps at Lowes) and cutting out the closed end to use that as a tunnel. I don't know if I'm explaining it well enough.
Oh no that's explained perfect, that's a good idea! After getting the link to the tote at home depot I know I will only be able to have the 1 for now, since before I was looking at the deeper smaller bottomed ones. That's a pretty brilliant idea you have with that bucket!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Well totes are off, I told my dad and he was like "Do you know how big that is!?" I looked it up and yeah the 42 inches long is where the problem would be. but my dad has told me he has extra plywood around and would gladly build a custom one to fit where i'm going to put it. It'll be a little smaller, but I'm going to work on convincing him to build a little second story hide area. I'll start a new thread about table building and sealing if I need more on that :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Oh no that's explained perfect, that's a good idea! After getting the link to the tote at home depot I know I will only be able to have the 1 for now, since before I was looking at the deeper smaller bottomed ones. That's a pretty brilliant idea you have with that bucket!
Hopefully it works as planned!