Plastic totes/tubs

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I've posted before explaining how my Russian tort 'Nank is currently in a 20gal tank, and how I wanted to build a better enclosure to give him more space in the room I can. But school snuck up on me and in 2 weeks I'll be starting college again so I won't have building time for that. But I still want to get him the heck out of the tank! I know plastic totes/tubs are suggested over tanks anyways, and while I know it'll still be small but it'd be more than he currently has.

The under bed containers are like the perfect width for where his enclosure sits, but I know they're lower sides that a Russian could easily escape if determined enough, especially with the amount of soil i'd like to put in. Has anyone made make-shift sides or have suggestions? Also i'll need a cover as I have a cat, who's never shown interest in the tank but one wrong trust could be very bad!

suggestions or links to similar threads I couldn't find are appreciated and thanks in advance!
:<3::tort:

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Did you order from that site? I'm wondering how much the shipping is for those.
I actually got it at Meijer right after christmas...walmart and other big stores sell them seasonally. You might be able to find them on Amazon for cheaper shipping. That link was just the first that had a picture of what I had.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
If you get those bins right after christmas you can get a huge bargain, I got one of those at walmart after christmas for $8. :>

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If you get those bins right after christmas you can get a huge bargain, I got one of those at walmart after christmas for $8. :>
That's pretty much my logic since I don't really want to pay for shipping of something so large. Heck i'd even pay whatever at the start of Christmas season at walmart (mostly because this 20 gal really bugs me and he doesn't get outside roaming in the winter) But 8$!? that's wonderful why cant they have them all the time!?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I actually got it at Meijer right after christmas...walmart and other big stores sell them seasonally. You might be able to find them on Amazon for cheaper shipping. That link was just the first that had a picture of what I had.
amazon let me down on this one, they have a whole lot of Christmas tree storage bags but no boxes, I have prime and was hoping for awesomely free shipping lol

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
amazon let me down on this one, they have a whole lot of Christmas tree storage bags but no boxes, I have prime and was hoping for awesomely free shipping lol

I've abused my Prime membership like that many times.

Try finding a store that carries other items by the same manufacturer. If the store has a relationship with the distributor/carries that manufacturer's products, then they may be able to order it for you with their next 'stock order' so that you avoid paying freight.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I've abused my Prime membership like that many times.

Try finding a store that carries other items by the same manufacturer. If the store has a relationship with the distributor/carries that manufacturer's products, then they may be able to order it for you with their next 'stock order' so that you avoid paying freight.
I don't know how I used to function without prime! I'm a student so my membership is half price for now which is great, too bad its my last year, but the $80 (its still 80 right!?) is totally worth it with the 2 day free shipping alone. I'm kind of upset the kindle lending library seems to have vanished to this "kindle unlimited" I don't read enough to pay so much a month, 1 free book a month was good enough for me!

I'll look into stores, but with school staring I may not find the time and it may slip into when they'll already be in stores since Christmas stuff always comes out right after Halloween here

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
That's pretty much my logic since I don't really want to pay for shipping of something so large. Heck i'd even pay whatever at the start of Christmas season at walmart (mostly because this 20 gal really bugs me and he doesn't get outside roaming in the winter) But 8$!? that's wonderful why cant they have them all the time!?

Yeah I wish they did have them all the time, I would even pay the normal price that they sell them at during christmas. I mean it's nice that I would still be able to order one if I absolutely had to have one right now but I'm sure the shipping cost is horrendous lol.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yeah I wish they did have them all the time, I would even pay the normal price that they sell them at during christmas. I mean it's nice that I would still be able to order one if I absolutely had to have one right now but I'm sure the shipping cost is horrendous lol.
I was surfing amazon and ended up looking at stock tubs (which I know I don't have the room for lol) but one was like 70$ but with $57 more in shipping!! I darn near passed out lol!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Shop Walmart or Target for cheap Rubbermaid tubs. Or tractor supply company for stock tanks. They're not expensive.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Definitely check out Feed stores for stock tanks. Toward the end of summer, they could have them on sale.
The xmas tree storage bins are great, but only available at/after Xmas.
Meanwhile, how about a 50-55 gal tote if all else fails? They should be <$20 at places like Walmart or Home Depot.
You still have higher sides, bigger than a 20 gal tank, and you can cut the middle out of that lid and zip tie wire to the opening to keep the cat out.

doc_hobo

If You Have An Old Book Case Or Can Find On Free On Craigslist That Could work

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I had an old dresser in the garage I wasn't using. I laid it on it's back and took out the drawers and ribs. Then I put wheels on the back turned bottom and lined it with a tarp cut to fit. That has worked great for my larger box turtle.

My smaller box turtle is still in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid, though I think it's getting too small now. I'm going to look for a cheap bookcase when I start getting paid again.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If You Have An Old Book Case Or Can Find On Free On Craigslist That Could work
Hmmm never thought of craigslist for a bookcase (I don't even have enough for me!) And I plan to use the bookcase idea as soon as I have my own place... unfortunately now I am short on space, hence the 20 gal on bad advice that sounded great at the time because it worked perfect for me. So I have a lot of space issues that I unfortunately have to work around, the biggest problem with book cases is the width since it would significantly hang over my desk. But I'll definitely remember I can get them on craigslist since i'm a dummy and never thought of that and probably would have bought a new one in the future!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Definitely check out Feed stores for stock tanks. Toward the end of summer, they could have them on sale.
The xmas tree storage bins are great, but only available at/after Xmas.
Meanwhile, how about a 50-55 gal tote if all else fails? They should be <$20 at places like Walmart or Home Depot.
You still have higher sides, bigger than a 20 gal tank, and you can cut the middle out of that lid and zip tie wire to the opening to keep the cat out.
I was looking at the 55gal totes because I know theyre cheap and readily available, but are they really that much bigger than my 20 gal where he'd be walking around? I looked at them and that's what made me hesitate because they really looked like it would only be a small difference... maybe I was looking at a different type than people here know?