Plastron check please

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Hello,
I was wondering if more experienced tort people could look at Sheldon's plastron, just to make sure it's looking like it should. It seems good to me. No spots just a scratch. Possibly not a scratch but yolk scar ? You can see the same shape in both pics. Hardness seems firm yet flexible. ~ Thxs.
This is Sheldon Nov. 2014 & he was wet in the picture. Just under 2 oz.
20141117_181619.jpg
Below is Sheldon today. Weights 2.8 oz.
20150309_211726.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That speck could be a little shell rot? Does it kinda flake off? Is it waxy or powdery? Is it just something stuck on him that washes off?
Generally, he/she looks very nice.
If it IS some very light shell rot, a little Q-tip dab of athletes foot cream will take care of it. Don't be too upset. Shell fungus will show up now and again. Especially in places as wet as South Florida.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I just got sheldon and used my fingernail to see what that white area is.
it is dry and hard like the rest of his shell. I will get some athletes foot cream
today. Any particular kind I should buy ? I will dab some on to be on the safe side. Thanks so much for your reply.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Any of the 1% clotrimazole antifungal creams/ointments will work. Save $$, buy the generic/store brand.

Thoroughly clean the area with a soft bristled brush with soap & water.
Pat dry with a clean paper towel. Allow to air dry completely.
Apply the cream/ointment.
Repeat daily for at least a week (2 weeks is better).

Do not stop treating even if the affected area appears 'clear' within the first few days.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Ok, great. I will buy the cream tonite.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Save money...Dollar store brand is the same active ingredient.;) My "outbreaks" have been chalky or waxy. This may be nothing at all, However, being safe won't hurt him.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Save money...Dollar store brand is the same active ingredient.;) My "outbreaks" have been chalky or waxy. This may be nothing at all, However, being safe won't hurt him.
Thanks so much. I will definitly treat him. Maybe he will look differnt in an after pic. Thanks again

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You have to fix what caused the problem also . The top of the substrate needs to be dry . The bottom of substrate needs to be damp . They can't sit in wet substrate it causes rot .

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Yes, actually that had been changed. The first 2 months I was making the mistake of spraying everything in the enclosure including the mulch. When I added fake plants to his enclosure, I changed to spraying the plants and keeping a wet sponge on top of his flower pot. The Cocosoft substrate is only wet at the edges since the plants are taped to the sides.
My dog wanted to go for a car ride the other day & we went to get another bag of substrate, so that was good timing. I will change the substrate tonight.

Last edited:

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
First application applied. I cleaned and dried the area, put the cream and then held him for a few minutes with the tissue I dried him with. Good thing, because he promptly peed & then poo'd. :rolleyes: Figured !
He enjoyed the substrate change and the relocation of his tank items !