plastron questions

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have two questions, the one that I'm most concerned about is that Sheldon has developed a small crack or split on his plastron. I'm not sure how he did it, but I was curious if something like that will heal over time and if there's any precautions I should take with it. My other question is he has some black spots, I've scrubbed them with a toothbrush and they don't come off. They're also kind of flaky, was wondering if it is just some form of staining or possibly something else. Thank you in advance.20180525_173609_Burst01.jpeg20180525_173547_Burst01.jpeg20180525_173509_Burst01.jpeg

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Best to take him to your vet and have a scraping analyzed. Looks like some type of infection to me.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Best to take him to your vet and have a scraping analyzed. Looks like some type of infection to me.
That's not good. I don't know how he would have picked something like that up. Thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
That's not good. I don't know how he would have picked something like that up. Thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Not a major deal. Vet will likely prescribe an anti-fungal cream, or a betadine scrub, or something similar. You could do this all yourself, but its best to know exactly what your dealing with.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I say save your money. This doesn't seem like anything a vet would need to be seen for and could do more damage then good. Likely to me the crack is what I consider kinda normal. I have felt a crack on mines plastron. It's more like peeling of a layer, I never paid much attention too it. It never got worse.
The black could just be its coloring or staining. Again, not a big deal. Just keep a closer eye on those things for any changes.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I say save your money. This doesn't seem like anything a vet would need to be seen for and could do more damage then good. Likely to me the crack is what I consider kinda normal. I have felt a crack on mines plastron. It's more like peeling of a layer, I never paid much attention too it. It never got worse.
The black could just be its coloring or staining. Again, not a big deal. Just keep a closer eye on those things for any changes.
Thank you, do you think it would be worth applying any athletes foot cream to?