Plastron off center

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its something you can try . Sometimes SCUTS don't grow on the carapace so a little extra virgin coconut oil helps . Could work over time . I would also add humidity to the night box .

tluttrell66

Location (City and/or State)
Irving, TX
I hope it isn't anything that we have to worry about or alter her shell in anyway. My husband & I are a bit different, so we celebrate abnormalities in any species. Will find out tomorrow at her vet appointment. Stay Tuned....

tluttrell66

Irving, TX
I hate coconut, the smell gags me, is there any other oil that would work? How about Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO for the Rachel Ray fans)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
OH PLEASE don't try to shave it down!

The pyramiding that is done can not be reversed but new growth can come in smoothly and the pyramiding will seem to lessen as the years go by.

As for the Guliur, I doubt there is anything that can be done for it. On the up side, the Guliur is used in fighting and overturning an opponite... so long as he/she doesn't have to fight for his/her life, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the coconut oil on almost everything, including my nails and hair. I've never noticed a coconut odor, but now that you've called my attention to it I'll make a note to be sure and give it a good smell next time I use it.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
OH PLEASE don't try to shave it down!

The pyramiding that is done can not be reversed but new growth can come in smoothly and the pyramiding will seem to lessen as the years go by.

As for the Guliur, I doubt there is anything that can be done for it. On the up side, the Guliur is used in fighting and overturning an opponite... so long as he/she doesn't have to fight for his/her life, it shouldn't make much of a difference.
I asked about shaving down gular because in case it interferes with eating or drinking. That effects the health of the tort. If that were to happen and shaving down the gular is possible then that would be a qiuck fix before the poor thing becomes unhealthy.

tluttrell66

Irving, TX
Ok, we are back from the vet. Here is the diagnosis. It is paramount to make sure whomever is caring for a tortoise from hatchling to yearling to young adult knows how to properly feed and has the right atmosphere for these very important stages of growth. Today I learned, first of all, as I suspected Zippy is actually a boy not a girl, I was originally going by what I was told. Because his early life was spent in an apartment with no ultra violet heat, and no access to the outdoors, and worst of all eating cat food, unfortunately the damage is done and is irreversible. The vet did a bit of a shave down of the gular to make sure he is comfortable, but could not go very far because of the bone. He also will most likely have renal failure at the age of 10-15 years because of the cat food. All we can do is make sure his poop is parasite free, and keep an eye on him as far as eating, moving around and pooping properly. Because he started out with such improper care in life, his life will be cut short by many many years. We will love him and give him the best care and life possible for the time he has. If anyone knows of a tortoise that is being kept under improper conditions, please do whatever you can to rescue. Overall he is in the best possible health he can be for having such a lousy start. We can supplement his diet with calcium powder, which may or may not help even out the growth pattern. I am just glad he is now in a safe and loving environment.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Ok, we are back from the vet. Here is the diagnosis. It is paramount to make sure whomever is caring for a tortoise from hatchling to yearling to young adult knows how to properly feed and has the right atmosphere for these very important stages of growth. Today I learned, first of all, as I suspected Zippy is actually a boy not a girl, I was originally going by what I was told. Because his early life was spent in an apartment with no ultra violet heat, and no access to the outdoors, and worst of all eating cat food, unfortunately the damage is done and is irreversible. The vet did a bit of a shave down of the gular to make sure he is comfortable, but could not go very far because of the bone. He also will most likely have renal failure at the age of 10-15 years because of the cat food. All we can do is make sure his poop is parasite free, and keep an eye on him as far as eating, moving around and pooping properly. Because he started out with such improper care in life, his life will be cut short by many many years. We will love him and give him the best care and life possible for the time he has. If anyone knows of a tortoise that is being kept under improper conditions, please do whatever you can to rescue. Overall he is in the best possible health he can be for having such a lousy start. We can supplement his diet with calcium powder, which may or may not help even out the growth pattern. I am just glad he is now in a safe and loving environment.

I am sorry that you did not get better news but rejoice in the fact that he is in wonderful, WONDERFUL hands now.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Keep your chin up, I would guess that forecasting the lifespan of a tortoise is a little like predicting the weather a month in advance.

While the prediction of a shorter than the maximum average lifespan is probably correct. We all know cases of human lives that are predicted to be shorter than normal and yet have more than surpassed expectations.

So, give him the best life possible, and be amazed at his future growth and sparkling personality!

Good luck.

tluttrell66

Irving, TX
He certainly has personality. He also did not let the vet check his belly. Every time she tried to put her finger under his back leg, he kicked her out of his shell and peed on her. It was humorous:), she did say his urine looked very healthy.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have also encountered some abnormalities in some hatchlings hatched here. Same health and activity level. No idea what they grew up like, but I'd assume something similar to this.

Tortadise hit the tortoise on the butt. This growth is not new, this is from its hatchling stage. Most likely it was stuck half way in the egg for a few days with the egg putting pressure on oppisite corners of the baby. Most of the time they straighten out some times the shell starts to harden first. It sets in a squeezed pattern. And you get what you see here.

I bet he lives a good long life, Organ damage? Maybe. But the organs grow too.