Plastron

Burgesj

Location (City and/or State)
Riverview
This is my 2 year old sulcata's plastron. Does this look normal? I'm specifically questioning the bottom part which looks very narrow to me. 20220401_193659.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not normal. I don't know what would cause that or what to do about it. Its an anomaly.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Someone a while back had a sulcata with anal scutes that grew together like that. I did some searching but could not find it. I believe the consensus was that it would be very difficult to keep the area consistently clean/poop free, and that breeding would be difficult/impossible. Not being able to keep the area clean may lead to other difficulties for the tort.

@zovick

zovick

10 Year Member!
Someone a while back had a sulcata with anal scutes that grew together like that. I did some searching but could not find it. I believe the consensus was that it would be very difficult to keep the area consistently clean/poop free, and that breeding would be difficult/impossible. Not being able to keep the area clean may lead to other difficulties for the tort.

@zovick
Those two anal scutes are definitely not growing properly/normally. It will be very difficult for that tortoise to reproduce (a good thing considering its problem) as well as to defecate normally as it gets larger as Brent said.

A good reptile vet might be able to surgically remove those two scutes to give the tortoise a better future. Alternatively, you could consider euthanizing it and starting over with one which has no problems.

Burgesj

Riverview

@zovick
Thank you.