Please critique my Baby Sulcata Habitat

Jimb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, Co.
I just got Maximus a couple of days ago and I'd like his enclosure critiqued please. The breeder hasn't responded to my question about how old he is, only that he's 1 or 2 months which was advertised on his website.
Here is his arrival pics & enclosure pics. I know it won't hold him for very long, but I'm hoping it'll do until Spring here in Colorado.
Demensions: 4'x2'x2'
Substrates: About 85% Coconut COIR, about 15% Cypress Mulch, about 1% Timothy Hay
Heat & UVB: 100w MegaRay UVB/UVA Daytime, 60w MegaRay Heat Projector Nighttime
I also have a Humidifier that has it's output being deflected into the enclosure during the daytime.
The Front covering is temorary until I can get a sliding glass door installed.
Thanks, I know you all must get this request all the time. I just don't want to lose this little treasure.

Maximus12_22_15a.jpg Maximus12_22_15b.jpg Habitat12_24_15.jpg Habitat_LeftView12_14_15.jpg Habitat_RightView12_24_15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks great. If the front is open, I would try to put up either glass or plastic over the opening. You want it more closed off to keep the warm, moist air inside. It's a nice size.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
O-o-ps. Nevermind about the front. I just re-read your post.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
O-o-ps. Nevermind about the front. I just re-read your post.

Thanks! I'm using thick plastic so I can adjust the opening to keep both the heat and humidity in the area it should be. Heat is between 80 - 100 depending on which end you measure, Humidity is between 35 - 50% ...
:)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Great job! Looks like you are quite handy and have done your research prior to building. Your tortoise will do quite well!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like a great effort so far.

I would close all those vents to hold heat an humidity in.

If humidity is that low, you have too much ventilation, or the substrate is too dry. I would add more substrate and dampen the lower layers more.

Get rid of the hay before it molds. Hay is more for older, larger tortoises to eat. Its a mold risk in a damp indoor enclosure.

I would run the heat emitter on a thermostat 24/7 to maintain ambient.

Your temps sound good.

Have you seen these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Very nicely done. Tom said everything I was thinking. Just a few minor tweaks, and this is a great starter enclosure.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Looks like a great effort so far.

I would close all those vents to hold heat an humidity in.

If humidity is that low, you have too much ventilation, or the substrate is too dry. I would add more substrate and dampen the lower layers more.

Get rid of the hay before it molds. Hay is more for older, larger tortoises to eat. Its a mold risk in a damp indoor enclosure.

I would run the heat emitter on a thermostat 24/7 to maintain ambient.

Your temps sound good.

Have you seen these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thanks Tom, I've been looking thru the those files which is where I found most of my information. I thought I needed the vents open for some airflow? The Right/Hand vent is where the Humidified air comes in (which is cool and why I put it on the same end as the MegaRays). I'll close the Left hand vent, remove the Hay and add more substrate. Would you recommend the COIR or the Cypress Mulch? Have to admit the COIR has a habit of falling into the food & water dish a little when Maximus enters & exits.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, I've been looking thru the those files which is where I found most of my information. I thought I needed the vents open for some airflow? The Right/Hand vent is where the Humidified air comes in (which is cool and why I put it on the same end as the MegaRays). I'll close the Left hand vent, remove the Hay and add more substrate. Would you recommend the COIR or the Cypress Mulch? Have to admit the COIR has a habit of falling into the food & water dish a little when Maximus enters & exits.

I prefer fine grade orchid bark for baby sulcatas. Coir and cypress would be a distant second and third choice, if I couldn't find O bark.

About the airflow: Every enclosure is different. If your humidity is only 35-50%, then you have too much airflow.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
I prefer fine grade orchid bark for baby sulcatas. Coir and cypress would be a distant second and third choice, if I couldn't find O bark.

About the airflow: Every enclosure is different. If your humidity is only 35-50%, then you have too much airflow.

Thank again, I haven't seen Orchid bark but I'll keep looking and order some if need be. Meanwhile I'll use the COIR. I've closed the Left Air vent and will reduce the amount of front window opening. It's too dry here to not have the Humidifier going unfortunately. It should keep the Humidity to 50%, if not I'll have to come up with another plan.
Thanks again I do appreciate the help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank again, I haven't seen Orchid bark but I'll keep looking and order some if need be. Meanwhile I'll use the COIR. I've closed the Left Air vent and will reduce the amount of front window opening. It's too dry here to not have the Humidifier going unfortunately. It should keep the Humidity to 50%, if not I'll have to come up with another plan.
Thanks again I do appreciate the help!

My area is very dry too. I never use humidifiers. Once you get that front all closed up, you should be able to maintain 80% humidity with no humidifier and no trouble at all.

M

Maggie Cummings

Pour water over your substrate, don't just spray. You want the top layer to dry out, and the under layers to stay moist....

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Thanks, that's what I'm doing now and it seems to be working! Gotta get that front sliding glass put in this weekend/week now.
Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the help, Maximus has been eating like a horse lately. I put greens & Wheat Grass in and the it seems like only minutes before it's gone. I'm impresses that he can eat that quickly. LOL! Have a great Holiday Weekend everyone!
Oh, I also have one of these Programmable Thermostats on order: :)

Attachments

• Thermostat.jpg
    Thermostat.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, that's what I'm doing now and it seems to be working! Gotta get that front sliding glass put in this weekend/week now.
Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the help, Maximus has been eating like a horse lately. I put greens & Wheat Grass in and the it seems like only minutes before it's gone. I'm impresses that he can eat that quickly. LOL! Have a great Holiday Weekend everyone!
Oh, I also have one of these Programmable Thermostats on order: :)

I'm not familiar with that model of thermostat. Let us know how well it works for you.