Please give advice for my substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
excuse me , I already read a thread in this forum due to substrate discussion , but that's already old so I think I should make a new thread for it.

I'm thinking to mix some coco peat with sand , the composition is 60% : 40%, and inside the hide i'm going to use spagnum moss.

I also read that forest bark and cypress munch are also good, but I can't find cypress munch around. Could I put forest bark on top mix coco peat and sand? or should I just put the forest bark around the basking area only and the rest will be placed mix coco peat with sand?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
What species are we talking about? I wouldn't recommend sand as a substrate for any tortoise. Not only will it cause a dry environment but it will irritate the tortoise. I use coco coir and recommend it for almost every species.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
ah I'm sorry.. I think that if I post it in this section everybody will know. The tort is Indian Star

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I live in S Florida and my yard is all sand. I am not saying this would be my # 1 choice for a substrate if given the choice,but I can tell you firsthand, it has never affected any of my tortoise species in a negative way.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.