PLEASE HELP!!!! (constipated)

avasims

Location (City and/or State)
rogers minnesota
Hello, I have a golden greek tortoise of 13 years and she has developed what I think is Metabolic bone disease. I have taken her the the vet several times and she’s a lost cause. My guess is to do symptomatic treatment and then ease in large calcium intake in hopes she recovers. The biggest issue right now, besides excessive shedding, is the constipation. I have tried EVERYTHING!! Car rides, warm soaking, moving her around, fed her aloe, dragon fruit, pumpkin, mineral oil, etc etc etc. I need something that will make her poop today bc she is now starting to gag (this has happened before). Her only way of getting g out the food is through throwing it up and it’s extremely hard to her to keep enduring that. Please please please, some refer me to laxative medication or an enema of some sort!!! Something to make her poop please I’m so so desperate. (this has been going on and off for about a year)

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, I have a golden greek tortoise of 13 years and she has developed what I think is Metabolic bone disease. I have taken her the the vet several times and she’s a lost cause. My guess is to do symptomatic treatment and then ease in large calcium intake in hopes she recovers. The biggest issue right now, besides excessive shedding, is the constipation. I have tried EVERYTHING!! Car rides, warm soaking, moving her around, fed her aloe, dragon fruit, pumpkin, mineral oil, etc etc etc. I need something that will make her poop today bc she is now starting to gag (this has happened before). Her only way of getting g out the food is through throwing it up and it’s extremely hard to her to keep enduring that. Please please please, some refer me to laxative medication or an enema of some sort!!! Something to make her poop please I’m so so desperate. (this has been going on and off for about a year)
Mineral oil is a good laxative if taken by mouth and also a good enema.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put her in a tub of water she can't climb out of and leave her be. Just forget about her, but check occasionally to be sure she's not getting in trouble. You want her to get tired of being in there and start scrambling to get out. The scrambling loosens the bowells. This has never failed for me.

avasims

rogers minnesota
Put her in a tub of water she can't climb out of and leave her be. Just forget about her, but check occasionally to be sure she's not getting in trouble. You want her to get tired of being in there and start scrambling to get out. The scrambling loosens the bowells. This has never failed for me.
thank you !! i’ll give it a try