Please help (found tort lifeless)

Vicky.M.

Please help! I have come home to find my tortoise life less! He is limp and doesn't respond to any movements, his eyes are half open, I am currently bathing him under his basking light but I fear the worst! Please is anyone has any suggestions or can help me to decide if my worst fears are true! He is a Herman tort, only a year and a half and I've had him 6 months! Yesterday he was fine had a bath and had a poo and wee, woke up to his light being switched on (100w basking lamp) and I have come home no food has been eaten and water bowl clean no sign he has been in there!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aw, I'm so sorry.

If you touch his eye does he blink or close it?

I see a couple things in your enclosure that could be changed, but nothing life threatening. The only way to know for sure why he died would be to have a necropsy done. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Vicky.M.

He doesn't no :( he has been in a bath for an hour now and no movement waiting for a vet to call but I'm sure he has passed :(

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
So sorry to hear this! You could also put cool mirror in front of his nose to see if it fogs up with his breath. I can usually feel our baby torts breath on my skin

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Oh....so sorry! ! !:(:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I am so sorry. The greens in his dish, do/did you rinse them before feeding?
I only ask because another member lost their tort and like yours, all was well a land normal and then the tort was dead. If my memory isn't mixing members up, this person did not wash the greens before feeding. Was just wondering if this was the same with you, then maybe there is a relation between the two deaths and greens not washed.
Again, so sorry

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Please understand that I am sorry for your loss.
However, I also had a tortoise who was dead. Didn't respond to any form of stimulation or to having her eyes touched and was totally limp.
24 hours later she began to move and slowly recovered and today is a very healthy old girl.
Keep the tortoise for a day more and keep it warm. If it goes stiff, it is dead. Limp...maybe, maybe not.