please help me with my baby tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
new baby tortoise whatery nose

ok please help i got a tortoise today and then there is like when i look at her like a little bit of water onher nose i comeing from inside her nose its not that it is wet or anything please help what should i doo

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: new baby tortoise whatery nose

Hi Roxy:

What kind of tortoise?

How is the tortoise set up? Lights? heat? etc.

Did she just get a drink not too long before you saw the water?

We're missing too much information to give you a good opinion.

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
i got it today and i noticed that when i pick her up she has like a little drop of water coming from inside the nose what should i do what is it how can i treat it

Attachments

• IMG00475-20101214-1625.jpg
    IMG00475-20101214-1625.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG00477-20101214-1625.jpg
    IMG00477-20101214-1625.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00474-20101214-1625.jpg
    IMG00474-20101214-1625.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 61

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
she is in a 34 gl tan gas the water bowl a little thing she can hide it and a 75w heat glo infrared heat lamp ill upload [ic tomorrow since i dont have the cam but im really worried by that watery nose its not much is very little you really have to look at her to tell but is this bad??/ how can i treat it

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You need to know the temperature of your enclosure, because your going to need to raise the temperature to 86F in the enclosure. This will help her immune system fight off the respiratory infection that she has. The best thing to use for this is the infrared light bulb you already have. Put this over the middle of the enclosure. Use that as the only heat source and have it on day and night.
Do you have another light on the enclosure? If not you can get a regular fluorscent light for light during the day.
Once you get the infection under control (which my mean a trip to the vet (for antibiotics) if it doesn't clear up in a week), you'll need to replace the infrared bulb with a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) for heat and UVB.

Danny

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
You need to know the temperature of your enclosure, because your going to need to raise the temperature to 86F in the enclosure. This will help her immune system fight off the respiratory infection that she has. The best thing to use for this is the infrared light bulb you already have. Put this over the middle of the enclosure. Use that as the only heat source and have it on day and night.
Do you have another light on the enclosure? If not you can get a regular fluorscent light for light during the day.
Once you get the infection under control (which my mean a trip to the vet (for antibiotics) if it doesn't clear up in a week), you'll need to replace the infrared bulb with a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) for heat and UVB.

Danny

thx so much incase i need it where can i buy a mvb?? and im a vet tech but where i work they do not work with reptiles :(

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
Laura said:
You bought her today? If she is sick,, take her back? Or was it shipped?

it was shipped so i cant take her back and plus if i could i wouldnt i already love that little girl hhehehe im going to take her to the vet today see what they tell me

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
update on my baby sulcata first update now she has a name her name is saphira and second i took her to the vet and they said her cold was just starting so i cought it very early so they gave her a antibiotic shot and that was it if in 7 days she still has nasal discharge i have to take her in and they'll check her but they said she it would clear up in about 3 days so thank you to every one who answered my question and god bless yall

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thats great you got it early she should be fine :) did you get a MVB bulb for her yet you should get as soon as possible to keep her on the right track:) do you have any pic's of her enclosure?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
keep her temps up and dont handle her too much. let her get aclimated and heal.
Did they just give her one injection? Any follow ups?

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
yes they gave her an injection and follow up in 3 days and on he good note the repitle vet talked to the vet i work for and explained what to do and everything so yeah im happy for that

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like she will be fine, try to get some outside sun as well, its critical that they get a nice broadband of light at this age and all ages. Are you setup for diet? Basically organic grass and weeds, with some store bought greens and treats of veggies, yams and rarely fruit.

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
awee thanx she does the darnest things lol today she was eating and she was walking and dragging a piece of lettuce around lol :D

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
roxy12200571 said:
awee thanx she does the darnest things lol today she was eating and she was walking and dragging a piece of lettuce around lol :D

Hehe, wait till they get bigger and get a piece stuck under their chin, its like a dog chasing his tail.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I had the same concern last year with Jimmy when he/she was only four months old. I immediately switched to a Zoo Med Powersun...and within about 2 weeks...NO RUNNY NOSE!

roxy12200571

5 Year Member
i have the exo tera red light its a safety light so i can have it 24/7 ummm what can i use for the bedding i put corncob on her tank but they told me he could eat it and it can cause a blockage so what you put on yours and what do you feed yours ?

Status
Not open for further replies.